Bad ass new Haas GM-2-5AX
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bad ass new Haas GM-2-5AX

Wow so I saw a haas gantry mill for sale at an auction...I think it was a late 90s. It was massive and unreal that Haas built it. I guess they also built a few bridge mills. But the GM2 looks very good for 5 axis router style work. I think they were onto something going all digital and raising the encoder counts (If that is accurate) on the NGC control. That probably paves the way for an accurate massive 5 axis bridge... .. Now I know there are HUGE SNK, OKUMA..ect. But they are triple the price and use much more room..and more capable with a 50 taper. But I really think Haas has a good contender for pattern makers here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The gm-2-5ax is a current/fairly new model. Are you sure thats what it was? It couldn't have been very old if thats what it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

GM2 was not what I saw at an auction. I think it was a GM1. It made the GR712 look like a pipsqueek

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe you saw the haas VS, a big open-body model?

Ya there's not too many 5 axis GRs out there yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You know, I don't quite understand Haas's reasoning behind enclosing their TM machines.

If you look at the gantry routers, they are wide open, have a toolchanger AND they have a bigass gantry that will whack you if you're a deserving dummy.
    Also, Fryer, Milltronics of the USA, and a host of Taiwanese makers have wide open bedmills, some as large as 120". Also with umbrella changers and no enclosure.

So what is the reason Haas can't get the TM-s to be open again?

It's kind of a sore subject with me right now as I might be in the market for a large bedmill ( 60 or larger ), and have left with nothing but Fryer or Milltronics as a candidate.
    Granted, Haas doesn't have a TM series with that large of a travel, but still....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember watching one of those terrible motorcycle build shows back in the late 90s or very early 2000s. They showed a Haas machine cutting custom "billet" rims. I've never seen another of those machines. I believe someone posted on the forums about it. It was a prototype or custom built machine just for cutting rims. They never built another one.

There's lots of weird stuff out there. These machines are so expensive that they never get scrapped.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one cutting the rims..was it maybe a VR machine? They have/had VR-11 machines which were huge VMCs with a 5 axis tilting head. I came across one on a used machine site some time ago and thought it was fascinating. Fairly limited tilt though, so not as versatile as some other machine designs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one I saw was bigger than a VB1 which was haas's monster bridge mill. I saved pics. I will have to dig them up

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Feast your friggen eyes
    haas-bridge-mill.jpghaas-bridge-mill-2.jpghaas-bridge-mill-4.jpghaas-bridge-mill-3.jpg

10. Likes Chris59, aarongough liked this post
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It would have been nice if they sold the VTC-48 to the general public. Having a 48 inch VTL that all my guys could jump up on without having to learn a new control would be a dream.
    v8-i28-do-not-read_1.original.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice! From what I have heard they made a handful of those and they are still in use