What's new
What's new

Big Plus Holder in a Haas spindle

Snyphilis

Plastic
Simple question for anyone who has tried

Will a Haas VF2-VF3 safely hold a big plus cat 40 holder? I ordered the wrong holders and it looks like they would clear the spindle face no problem. Does anyone else do this?

can you better describe what a big plus 40 is . is it a 4 inch facemill ?? or 8 inch shell mill?

I had some big plus holders for the Doosan and when it left I have been using them in my Haas spindles ,, there is plenty of room between the spindle face and the face on the holders ,,,

can you better describe what a big plus 40 is . is it a 4 inch facemill ?? or 8 inch shell mill?

Whether it's a 4" or 8" facemill both are WAY too big for a Haas unless you are doing strictly finishing. I have a VF2 and I can push it past 130% with a 2.5" Iscar HeliDo.

>>>OP. You should be fine from a mechanical standpoint. There is another thread in the CNC forum where the question came up about using big-plus in a standard V-flange spindle.. I think it's called something like "Unliscensed Dual Contact Toolholders".

I would check with your HFO to make sure it doesn't void the warranty. Haas is pretty good about that kind of stuff though.

Whether it's a 4" or 8" facemill both are WAY too big for a Haas unless you are doing strictly finishing. I have a VF2 and I can push it past 130% with a 2.5" Iscar HeliDo.

I push more than 130% a LOT ,,, It was explained to me that 100% you could run full time ,, 150% you could run half time ( 5 min out of every 10 min) and so on ........ I run a cut every day that pushing 170% for about 3 min and have been doing the same part for 5+ years and the machine has never been worked on ,,

FYI its a 2" face mill in alum ,,, I just have the feed turned up a little and the rpm turned down a little ,, Haas 12k spindles seem to have the sweet spot about 8,300 RPM, Anything over that and they start loosing power.

I push more than 130% a LOT ,,, It was explained to me that 100% you could run full time ,, 150% you could run half time ( 5 min out of every 10 min) and so on ........ I run a cut every day that pushing 170% for about 3 min and have been doing the same part for 5+ years and the machine has never been worked on ,,

Sure, but at 130% I'm making chips fly like popcorn. I got a 3" feedmill a while ago. Couldn't even get the tool started working at 170%.

Just depends on what has your running now days. Anything VF3 and above thats non SS has the 60HP high torque option. I put one in Columbus Mckinnon in Shenzhen a few months ago and its ripping up S7 forge tools with an Ingersoll 6" Hi-Feed mill. Torque never bumps above 70%,

Just depends on what has your running now days. Anything VF3 and above thats non SS has the 60HP high torque option. I put one in Columbus Mckinnon in Shenzhen a few months ago and its ripping up S7 forge tools with an Ingersoll 6" Hi-Feed mill. Torque never bumps above 70%,

Is that with a 40 taper?

I thought the 60 hp was only CAT50...... I'd be happy if I'm wrong. :D

OT,
>>>> g-coder-05, what's your thought on the ST10 or ST15 lathe? Are they as wimpy as some people make it sound? We were ready to buy one just as this virus thing hit and now we're hunkered down and saving cash again :(.

They've made the machines stiff enough to use that power without flexing like heck? I'd expect inserts to crumple without stability, but sounds like it works for you...

I've been drooling over a Mazak QT-200 lathe.
35 hp! And that's REAL horsepower for 30 min., not a 3 min. rating.
I haven't had the nerve to request a quote. :willy_nilly:
I'll make sure I'm sitting down......

I thought the 60 hp was only CAT50...... I'd be happy if I'm wrong. :D

Yeah, forgot about that part....

They've made the machines stiff enough to use that power without flexing like heck? I'd expect inserts to crumple without stability, but sounds like it works for you...

Their doing surprisingly well considering these are still on the HSR-35 rails. Im really anxious to see what the new HSR-40's are going to be like.

Which machines are getting the upgrade and when?

I would think the issue you may run into would be with the tool changer. If you have a side mount I think the part that grips the flange is most likely not designed to grip a big plus holder. Probably the same deal with a carousel type ATC. I'm not an expert with this, but my doosan that I have can accept both regular cat 40 and big plus cat40 and the tool changer is also designed to grip both types of flanges. I also have a haad VF0e and haven't tried putting dual contact holders into it, mainly because I don't need to.

Back