What's new
What's new

Can a HAAS VF-OE fit in a domestic garage? Definitive answer!

abbeyroad1124

Plastic
I finally have the Z-covers on. With the Z down I can open the automatic garage door and get to the control box. This is a 1996.

Since this is the same size as the Haas VF-2, I think that will work too.

20210501_182140-s.jpg

VF-0E in a 'regular' garage.

Here is the same for those like me where there is always a catch to everything you try to do.

My version of fit for a 1998 VF-0E in a 'normal' domestic garage.

Regular 1960's house in Texas with a stand alone garage out back.

7' door height
8' door width
8' ceiling height

Called in for some help from my brother-in-law to do wood related stuff. We determined it would be quicker and easier to slightly mod the door header than to remove the counter-balance rod. As it was the highest non-flexible point. Didn't seem worth it to try and monkey with it.

We removed the trim around the door cut a mike tyson tooth notch about 6 inches up and a couple of feet wide in the header. (wider than we needed) Was able to to keep the outside pressboard siding intact. and just kind of flex it where we needed while passing under it.

Rigger set the machine inside just enough to clear the garage door when open. Made sure it was centered between the ceiling studs side to side but a little closer to front than back.
With no cutting to the studs, My brother-in-law removed sheetrock only and boxed the 2' x 4' section perfectly in with 1x2's and 1/4" plywood. Was around $10 in material (at the time).

This sounds like a lot of work, but it really wasn't as bad as I thought. It all went together as quickly as it came apart and as soon as the rigger set the machine.

All credit goes to my nephew and brother-in-law for keeping up the pace and not allowing me to over analyze and procrastinate. And they did most of the work.

For those attempting to do this very thing just be sure to check which direction your ceiling rafters run. And make sure it jives with your machine layout plan. Otherwise you may be compelled to cut a rafter. It's doable, but a lot more work.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

....With the Z down I can open the automatic garage door and get to the control box.

That is an awesome way to lay it out if you have a spare bay for it. Saves a lot of room.
PRO TIP: An Eastwood QST quiet compressor is worth it's weight in gold in a small shop such as a garage. About the only one just small enough to fit the bill.

TH

Looks great!

I’ve stuffed a 2009 vf2 in mine.
Had to remove some sheet metal and the 24smtc. (That was a chore to lift back on!) 84” garage opening. 109” inside the garage
No mods needed to the structure

If your looking for an air compressor I bought this one from dv air systems.
Was a single phase 5hp screw with air dryer. $7500CAD. Been very happy with it. Made in Canada.
It’s in my residential basement under the dining room floor. Wife Can hardly hear it run.
Glad I went bigger for running hsm paths in steel with big air blast. Never has an issue keeping up with the air gun wide open and CNC tool changing

A5 Rotary Screw Air Compressor | DV Systems

Have fun with that sweet unit!!

you mean this?

Eastwood Elite QST-30/60 Scroll Portable Air Compressor

says "OUT OF STOCK, DUE BACK IN STOCK: 06/12/2021"

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Ultra-Quiet-Jobsite-Compressor/dp/B08ML94W2F/

It works fine as long as I don't do 4 tool changes quickly in succession -- then I get a low-pressure alarm.

abbeyroad1124,

Yes, It is great for a garage shop, being the cheapest and very easy on electrical draw, pretty well built and worth the wait of 6/12.

For a quick fix to your problem have your compressor feed another air tank (off of a bad compressor or buy one from harbor freight) and set it behind your Haas with a short air hose running to the machine. It will act as a compressed air reservoir. If the hose to the machine is too long your tool changer may starve for air.

Getting the alarm is much better than having a mechanical failure due to low air pressure. It is possible to have enough air not to trip alarm, but then run too low while carousel is going for a tool 10 pockets away. Don't ask me how I know.

TH

Does the vf-0e have greased or air oil lube?
Air/oil system chews a lot of air.
My Tm1 had greased and used very little air.
El cheapo Costco air compressor.

Does the Eastwood have good air filtration and dryer? If not it may not hurt to price a good filtration unit and dryer with it. Would not want to pump moisture/particles through the spindle.
They look like a great price and I’ve read good things.
I was not able to wait the lead time to get one.

Back