What's new
What's new

Can the Original Haas units (1997-99) run Sigma1 Rotary's?

countryguy

Hot Rolled
Got a question from a buddy that I simply do not know... a 98VF Wired for 4th. HE's looking at a HRT unit that's Sigma1. Can that run on the original 68K Mocon and CPU stack and such?

The 2007 (silver) HRT has 2 cables. 10 and a 7 pins respt.
I know my HRT has 1 connector and I think 16 or 17pins (I'll count em' later).

Can't seem to find much on backward compatibility for HRT's

I’m going to ASSume that he cannot simply based on it being a brushed machine control/servo drives in the machine.
Now he likely could do 4th positioning work easily with one of the external 4th controller units and dprint or m codes. I’ve even read (on here) of people doing helical work using the external box by “timing” the motions,

Thanks Stirling, It's an AC servo system VF. Brushless.. and like mine, there is an odd brushless to brush type kit I put in to run the older DC/brush HRT unit we have. On this it's more the opposite- Old servo/brushless (original VF brushless) to run a 2007 Sigma1 HRT unit w/ a different cable set than what his VF has.

I have a '95 HRT cable 17 pin. The wiring on this cable is:
17Pin HRT
A E8
B E6
C E9
D H1
G GND
H M2
J M1
K H3
L H4
M E7
N E5
P ? (BROKEN WIRE)
R B2
S B3
T E1

HRT CONNECTORS:
E - ENCODER
H - HOME
M - MOTOR
B - BRAKE
GND - MOTOR GROUND (NOT POWER)

There is a small rib on the connector at the #1 position. Pin count is
1 3 5 7 9
2 4 6 8 10

If the Sigma1 has three motor wires it is brushless. The other thing to check is if the encoder is TTL or push-pull output.

Thanks MG .. yes, I recall you are the Rotary guy. Super point at the end :D I have the diagram images from a few of your posts. TY!!
Anywho.. what I recall is that the Mocon board uses RS422 drivers on all the axis connectors (pretty sure). so TTL and not /push pull. anyway, he would need the a) right cable w/ pin-outs to any HRT (1:1), b) ensure HRT is a TTL encoder type c) AC to DC brush convter 4th pre-wire is a DC brush unit (which it has). If there is a brushless option for old 422/TTL based 68K sets, he would need to explore how to wire up the 2 line AC harness into the old style unit. I would think??? anyway,

Easier to just go find a red unit brush style. we've rebuilt them and they are super easy to work on and can get to a few tens w/ care and rebuild love. Pic cause we had a lot of run on the rebuild...

IMG_4728.jpg

My '91 VF-1 has a receiver board mounted over the MOCON board with AM26LS32 Quad RS422 Receiver to three state output chips. So the MOCON Board has TTL inputs. I rewired mine to use RS-422 for the A axis too. Better noise immunity.
If you take the cover off the encoder, look at the chip nearest to the cable. If it is an AM26LS31 that is a differential line driver (RS-422).
To use the brush motor on the brushless amp, use the A and C outputs of the motor wires with 3.6 mH inductor on each line (pg 542 of 96-8000).

sounds like you have some strong EE or EET skills! And when manual and page numbers are quoted... I bow deeply! :-) Thanks for the help here. It's been a long time for me on Comms circuits and I get to go relearn often!

Maybe a qualifier Q on your reply... lead in first (relearn): 422 is unbalanced & differential based. 423 is balanced and non-diff. The 3 state is L H or High Impedance (NA). The 23ls32 can do tri-state 1, 0, and N/A on outputs and is thus buss ready.

Wondered if this is what you meant on the Mocon has TTL inputs? Trying to learn always.

ref:
The 'sheet' on the 26LS32 is a balanced or unbalanced line receiver. (422 or 423, balanced or unbalanced capable) (notes as meets requirements of ANSI TIA/EIA-422-B, TIA/EIA423-B compatible) LINK: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/a...36895&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

the TI bible on 422/423 (for good ref link: https://www.ti.com/lit/an/snla137a/...60213&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F )

The encoders for the XYZ go into the receiver board which has AM26LS32 chips which connect to the HCTL-2016 quadrature decoder/counters but the A axis encoder goes straight into the HCTL-2016 which has a TTL level input.
If your A axis connects to AM26LS32 chips then it requires a push-pull (4220 encoder. If it goes into the HCTL-2016 chip then it is TTL input.
Electronics was more hobby but doing more of it now, designing and building databoxes for a shock dyno and an equalizer for my nephew's professional studio.
The aero/mech work is now just a motorcycle streamliner for Bonneville.

Back