What's new
What's new

can pre sigma 5 servos do simutanius 5 axis?

Stirling

Hot Rolled
just looking throgh the haas website at 5 axis rotorys and it says i would need 18.oo software version to do simltanius 5 axis.
i know 18.oo was when they switched to sigma 5, mines 2009 15.06A and from what i understand must use sigma 1 servos (2008-20011 only, bummer eh?) can i update the software? or am i locked into sigma 1, or can i buy a sigma 5 setup and only do positioning? could i fond an older (and assumably rare) sigma 1 trunnion and do full 5 axis?

truily i only want positioning right now, but would be nice to have the capabiity of full 5th if i spend the money

I hoped you might get a reply on this- What I know on a 98, with who knows what version motors, we can run full 5 axis simultaneous. (on 9.64) It's not altogether smooth, and needs care in the CAM and other setting to do nice work, bit is overall enough for us and small stuff. So I'm not sure if the motors play a huge part in this but would expect there is a motor consideration for 5 -vs- 3. Anyway, Do you get DWO/TCPC with that version of Mill? Else its all COR (center of rotation) and is not that bad once you get the hang of it.

I hoped you might get a reply on this- What I know on a 98, with who knows what version motors, we can run full 5 axis simultaneous. (on 9.64) It's not altogether smooth, and needs care in the CAM and other setting to do nice work, bit is overall enough for us and small stuff. So I'm not sure if the motors play a huge part in this but would expect there is a motor consideration for 5 -vs- 3. Anyway, Do you get DWO/TCPC with that version of Mill? Else its all COR (center of rotation) and is not that bad once you get the hang of it.

I think dwo/tcpc is only “next gen” controllers.
If yours runs full 5th and it’s 11 years older I can only assume mine does too.
Maybe it’s positional only using a sigma 1 type controller while plugged into sigma 5 retorts?

If that was the case it would open up my purchasing options greatly. From what I’ve read they only used sigma 1 for a short period of time. Only trunnion 5ths during that period i think

I wonder if I bolted 2 4th axis together if it would work as a 5 axis?
I mean… that’s what they used to sell as a non trunnion style. Was ugly as all hell, but worked

There was a post this year from a guy who was going to do that. . It'll work. If you make the conjoining plate, others would be interested I assume. Add a tail stock option too?

Back