What's new
What's new

Can't contact repair shop

Spruewell

Hot Rolled
Hopefully this isn't a new Horror story thread:

I sent my HAAS 5C indexer out for repair 2 months ago. I can understand it taking some time to repair as it is an older model and parts may not be so readily available. However, the concern I'm having is that they seem to be no longer answering the phones. I checked in a month ago and they were waiting on parts. I checked in a couple weeks ago and they were having trouble with the controller they were using to test it. Last week they stopped answering the phone, but they did send me a video of the motor running on the bench. They asked for two more days to have it finished. That was 4 days ago. They are not answering the phone and there is no answering service. They are in another state, so I can't just drop on by to knock on the door and see if anyone is home.

I'm running out of grace period with my customers now..

Well, maybe the nightmare is over! I just got an invoice emailed to me. I called and they answered this time! It is apparently finished and they are awaiting payment before shipping it.

Well... Now I have a problem. I set the control for the S5C indexer, shut down the machine, unhooked my SRT rotary table, installed the S5C indexer and turned it on. Immediately got a "164 A AXIS OVERCURRENT OR DRIVE FAULT" alarm. I have been trying non-stop to call the repair facility and they are not answering the phone.

Has this indexer run on this machine before? There are parameters that need adjusted if not, the Haas factory boys will email you a list, I have had this each time I add a machine

This has run on my machine in the past. But when the repair shop was checking it out they had it running on a control box which may have had different parameter settings. I did manage to finally contact the repair shop by e-mail and they sent me a list of the parameters on their control box, but their list does not match up with the parameter list in my machine. I just found my manual for this indexer. hopefully I can cross reference they parameters by description.

I got it! After going through the parameters they sent, looking them up in the manual and cross referencing them with the machine control I found the issue. Though the gain, acceleration, speed and loop error values were different, it was the motor polarity that was causing problems. The control was moving it one way and the encoder was telling it it was going the other way. Once I reversed that, it took off and seems to be running fine. Holy moly, what a relief..
However, now I’m curious to know if the different values for the gain, acceleration, max speed and loop error will cause problems later on as I continue to run this thing. The angular positioning seems to be consistent and accurate for now.

I have found once they are set up and working they work every time,

If you haven't yet you might save the parameters as it only takes seconds and can save hours later

The parameters might cause a problem if are doing coordinated cutting. If the rotary cannot keep up with the XYZ you should get a following error. If the MAX SPEED is too high the controller will think the rotary can move faster than actual and not slow the XYZ to match. Similarly for the acceleration.

Got a HAAS tech on the phone today. Seems my speed acceleration and loop error numbers are good, but the P-gain and I-gain values are a little wonky. I would expect these to cause noise in the motor if they are not right. The tech was unable to tell me if its going to cause any issues. So far it seems to be running smooth and quiet.

Well, I had to send the unit back about 3 weeks ago. I re-installed it in my machine to run a job and it started freaking out. It would not zero return and kept throwing alarms. I pulled it out, stuck it in a box and sent it straight back to the company who repaired it. Just got word back that the encoder disk scattered itself inside the housing and they want $1400 to repair it again. They are saying they believe it is an issue with the parameters.

Do yourself a favor and open up the indexer yourself.

Haas indexers are really crude and simple inside.

They are a real cocksucker to get the metal can on and off the way they make them, but that's the worst part.

There's nothing in that thing that's expensive besides the gears.

Whatever you do don't work on any other brand of rotary. If you do, from then forward you might vomit a little when you look at an HRT210.

Back