What's new
What's new

New VF-2

Rstewart

Stainless
Last week we received our new mill, 10k spindle, 30SMTC, Probing, HSM, and 4th AX drive. I started assembling some of it since the Tech is gonna be another week....
My question to ya'll is which side to mount my Rotary and which side for the Renishaw?

It's gonna be a little while before we get the rotary on order, just trying to plan for the future. I was thinking the 4Th on the right side of the table pointing X- and the table probe on the left side of the table?

My reasoning is if X is at "home" and I toolchange with a long tool, it won't hit the top of the rotary.

I do not want the probe on top of the rotary table.

What's your set-up? VF_2.jpg

Ours is exactly how you describe - rotary on right side. And, IMO, it's more than just a tool change issue, the plugs for it are on the right side so it makes more sense than routing them over top of machine and such.

Do yourself a favor too, use the keys for the T-slots, grind custom if you need to. It will make your life easier if you add a tailstock. For some reason ours isn't keyed and its a PITA to line the tailstock up. :( Oh yea, a plug for the pneumatic tailstock, works great!

Ours is exactly how you describe - rotary on right side. And, IMO, it's more than just a tool change issue, the plugs for it are on the right side so it makes more sense than routing them over top of machine and such.

Do yourself a favor too, use the keys for the T-slots, grind custom if you need to. It will make your life easier if you add a tailstock. For some reason ours isn't keyed and its a PITA to line the tailstock up. :( Oh yea, a plug for the pneumatic tailstock, works great!

Is there any issues with the table probe on the Left side? I've only seen em on the right...

There isn't a functional issue with the probe on the left side. However, any 4th table of any decent work length with probably interfere with it. I personally built an offset riser and set it on the right side just behind the rotary circle part.

Is there any issues with the table probe on the Left side? I've only seen em on the right...

Nope. At least we have never had a problem. The orientation of the receiver will be different than if mounted on the right side though. Ours (with the rotary) is set with the setting disc to the front instead of the side.

There isn't a functional issue with the probe on the left side. However, any 4th table of any decent work length with probably interfere with it. I personally built an offset riser and set it on the right side just behind the rotary circle part.

Really should not be any interference issues, IF the rotary is properly sized to the machine IMO. We have a HRT160 on ours, which is just right for our work. I think the HRT210 would probably interfere, unless you make/buy a riser as you've said.

Last week we received our new mill, 10k spindle, 30SMTC, Probing, HSM, and 4th AX drive. I started assembling some of it since the Tech is gonna be another week....
My question to ya'll is which side to mount my Rotary and which side for the Renishaw?

It's gonna be a little while before we get the rotary on order, just trying to plan for the future. I was thinking the 4Th on the right side of the table pointing X- and the table probe on the left side of the table?

My reasoning is if X is at "home" and I toolchange with a long tool, it won't hit the top of the rotary.

I do not want the probe on top of the rotary table.

What's your set-up? View attachment 295414

If you are worried about tool changes when running long tools, watch this video, it explains how to

How to Command a Safe Tool Change Position to Avoid Fixtures and Rotaries – Haas Tip of the Day - YouTube

ALso, once you are comfortable using the alias feature, set this up, so much easier than going thru the wips

%
O09000
#100= #3026
G00 G53 G49 Z0. M09
G00 G90
G65 P9023 A24. T#100 H0.015
G103
M62
M99

%

Assign this program to a spare M code and add the Mcode to the end of your tool path and it will check for a broken tool. Change the H value to whatever you want, that is the value it determines if it is more than that from the tool offset it will give you a broken tool alarm. Note ^ that is for the older version of Renishaw programs, your new machine might have a different P and A number.

edit: variables might be different too. have not set it up on our newer machines...

WE used to have a vf-5 that I'd mount largish fixtures to the table and a big trunion in the rotary so I was always moving the table probe around, some times on a riser to get above the trunion. Haas made it pretty easy to reteach the position, I never had any issues with moving it other than the time it took which wasn't bad once you knew the routine.

Thanks Guys!

I won't be seeing a ton of rotary work so most of the time it won't be in the machine. I guess I'll make a riser for when I do use the extra axis. I am gonna op for the table probe to be installed on the left side tho, I'll see what the Tech says next week.

Thanks Guys!

I won't be seeing a ton of rotary work so most of the time it won't be in the machine. I guess I'll make a riser for when I do use the extra axis. I am gonna op for the table probe to be installed on the left side tho, I'll see what the Tech says next week.

Risers are worthless unless your doing mainly 4th and 5th axis work. you have to reset everything up every time you put it off and on. take off your rotary then you have a riser sticking up.

put the tool probe on the left back side of the table , if the tech doesnt do it for you tell him to blow a goat. There no reason for it not being done that way in the 1st place.

in order to use your 4th when you have it on the right you either gotta put the riser in Or move your 4th over so the back clears the left hand side of the spindle sheet metal. thats a ton of wasted table space.

its also very simple to do

Thanks Guys!

I was told by the techs that it can be mounted anywhere, but the "eye" (sensor) must be visible at all times, meaning you *may* need to move the eye to the left of the z column.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It's just a small travel mill, I'd assume it would be visible on the left side of the table. I did buy one of the MariTool spindle standards for setting the probe at a constant.
This machine will be a nice upgrade from a 15 year old MiniMill lol. I've programmed much more robust machines, but this will be a great fit in our prototype dept.

Back