What's new
What's new

Changing drawbar and washers on a VF2

david n

Diamond
I'm changing the drawbar and bellville washers on my '04 VF2. 10K spindle. No tranny. What to look for/watch out for? Local HFO is emailing the procedure over. Seems pretty straight forward, eh? TIA

I had the Haas service tech replace the whole drawbar in Mar. Best $1700 I ever spent.

It took him 5.5 hrs and he KNEW what he was doing. The two bolts that hold the assy in the spindle were broke off inside. He said if he couldn't get them out, I would have to replace the whole spindle.:eek:

Well, I wasn't going to let that happen, so I drilled them and used an EZ Out with a lot of PB Blaster and we were able to get them out.:D

Then he had to use a BFH to get the drawbar out through the spindle. Not really a job I'd like to do myself even after having seen it done.Picture 005.jpgPicture 006.jpg

Those bolts are supposed to have an additional diameter ahead of the threaded part. That was broke off inside the collar.

I have the 12K spindle and was told as long as I don't routinely run above 8k I should be fine. If I was to regularly run higher RPMs I should replace the whole spindle. I guess it must be balanced as an assy?

Changing the drawbar out is one of the easier repair jobs on these mills.

Its about an hour or two with the right tools.

1. Remove Sheetmetal around the head
2. Remove drawbar pneumatic release mechanism (4 bolts, 2 hoses, 2 wires).
3. Unbolt the gearbox and pickup the spindle motor/gearbox with a forklift enough to clear the drawbar.
4. Remove Snap ring holding drawbar into the spindle.
5. Pull out drawbar.
6. Put new drawbar in and reverse steps 5-1.

What he ^ said plus:

Hindsight being 20/20..
Apply a small butane torch on the bolt heads for enough heat to soften the Loctite. A lesson learned from experience.

Penetrating oil down the bore to soften the dried grease and crud [the real problem]. Never ever never ever hammer in any way or direction on spindle, period!

I made a little puller to pull the drawbar out of the cartridge, no pressure on the bearing/races. Drill and tap the drawbar center, install a 1/4-20 bolt with a nut and plate, tighten the nut onto the plate that butts up to the drive dogs, and viola drawbar slides out.

Cheers

-ASW

i have done all these steps except pick up the gear box but my draw bar is still tight and cant slide it up at all help. do i have to break the trans and pick it up for the draw bar to become free

Back