What's new
What's new

Changing Encoder Pulleys 12K Inline Spindle, TSC

npolanosky

Cast Iron
Hi there,
My encoder belt on my VM3 with the 12k inline spindle and TSC went recently, and it damaged the pulley on the spindle side as well. I have new parts ready to install, but I can't find an easy way to remove the pulley from the spindle! I assume it is pressed on. I have tried heating it, but can't get it to come off, only spin in place. Should I just hacksaw it off carefully and then press on the new one, or is there a better way to do this? I can't find anything online explaining the procedure.

Best I remember mine was just a set screw under the the belt that went straight through the teeth onto a flat spot on the shaft. I would be apprehensive about putting heat around all that stuff up their though. maybe just put a small gear puller on it. watch out for the wires on the fan, all that hole makes them fall apart. That little encoder belt can wind up costing quite a bit.

Did Haas send you the "Debug" papers to set the spindle orient?

On the encoder there is a flat and a setscrew, on the motor shaft it's just pressed on. I carefully sawed off two sections of the pulley and it came apart. I heated the new one with a butane torch and gave it some taps, it went on with some effort.

Next I just need to reinstall the TSC union and put all the covers back on. In other news, whoever designed the spindle motor cover can go die in a fire. It's all riveted, and if you want to take it off you have to disconnect every wire and hose going into the motor area or drill out the rivets, except for the fact that the ATC is in the way of the last four rivets. Ugh. I got it off, just a PITA.

HAAS didn't send me the instructions, but I'll figure it out. I'm sure they exist somewhere online, and I saw the tech do it when they had to reload firmware on my machine.

Edit- Yeah, Orville has us covered :) YouTube

whoever designed the spindle motor cover can go die in a fire

I was wanting to comment about that so bad but figured you may already be throwing tools. When mine threw the belt it ripped the fan wires clean out of the motor. And how in the hell does so much oil accumulate up there? And of course removing the cover I didn't have enough common sense to think there may be a few wires behind the tool release button (there went another $50). After all that was sorted I figured there was some position sensor that oriented the encoder when it powered up!!! Nope, The tool arm makes a hell of a racket when it smacks the drive dog. That was when I found out what Debug was on Haas.

Installed and seems to be working fine. Got the toolchanger sorted as well.

The belt is tracking a smidge high for me, I'd prefer it not ride as close to the flange as it does. I might get a spare belt and pullies just in case. I don't see any tracking adjustment that's obvious. That's where the old one was though sooooooo *shrug*

So a bit off topic... (kinda not really since you brought it up!) I forgot they had made a video to check spindle orient. That's a good one to remember, especially after a minor crash.
..like facemill slowly plunge into material on accident, or hit a clamp, etc.

And how to manually jog the toolchange arm after to check alignment before getting back to making chips.

When the spindle abruptly stops in a crash like that, it can throw off that alignment ever so slightly (or a lot! like 30° or something) and potentially cause toolchange issues or increased wear on toolchange arm if it isn't lined up correctly.

Too bad you can't do any of that on the NGC, so dumb! .... gotta wait for a tech to come out with their special key.

Back