What's new
What's new

Chiller-Ready Provision?

bpfedorick

Plastic
My 1999 VF4 exclusively does dry machining at high RPM so the spindle gets pretty damn hot. I've already created a closed loop system running coolant through the existing lines and headstock casting. This seems to help a bit but it's not enough. I guess since two of the bearings are in the nose of the spindle.

http://www.haascnc.com/DOCLIB/brochures/PDF/VMC.pdf?0506

I saw page 26 of the Haas VMC brochure states that a chiller ready provision is available to add an aftermarket spindle chiller. Does anyone know exactly what modifications to the machine this consists of?

Brandon

I saw page 26 of the Haas VMC brochure states that a chiller ready provision is available to add an aftermarket spindle chiller. Does anyone know exactly what modifications to the machine this consists of?
Might be a typo there, its page 21.

If you all ready have the two lines identified, all you need to do is plumb in a chiller. Doesn't even really matter which way the flow is. Its only a jacket around the spindle cartridge. Most if not all chillers have there own reservoir, a pump and control, Simple ones just have there own thermocouple so they switch with a change in a range above ambient. Better ones will have a thermocouple in the return line or a separate probe you can lag to the return line.

Ideally you want it connected electrically from the machine. You'd want a thermal over load at least. Or a contactor and overload if you wanted it protected behind the E.Stop. That's how I'd wire it. Most are 3 phase.

G.M.P is one place I'd check for prices.

Regards Phil.

Might be a typo there, its page 21.

If you all ready have the two lines identified, all you need to do is plumb in a chiller. Doesn't even really matter which way the flow is. Its only a jacket around the spindle cartridge. Most if not all chillers have there own reservoir, a pump and control, Simple ones just have there own thermocouple so they switch with a change in a range above ambient. Better ones will have a thermocouple in the return line or a separate probe you can lag to the return line.

Ideally you want it connected electrically from the machine. You'd want a thermal over load at least. Or a contactor and overload if you wanted it protected behind the E.Stop. That's how I'd wire it. Most are 3 phase.

G.M.P is one place I'd check for prices.

Regards Phil.
It's that simple eh? Usually on a Haas the flood coolant runs through the casting around the spindle. So the chiller ready machines just have the plumbing changed a little bit? I'm not sure if I should be surprised that it's a roughly $1500 option from Haas to do that.

If you need a chiller, you need a chiller...

But if coolant is not adequate as coolant is getting too hot...you can try a cheap inline cooler.
Plumb lines thru hot water baseboard fin heating element. The kind with 5/8 copper lines and a bunch of alum fins...
You would need to slow the flow abit to allow for best heat transfer...but a 6' section really sucks a good deal of heat out.

I used in a pinch when my water cooled TIG welders chiller went out...again. It works so well I never reinstalled the chiller. Pump comes on when welder is turned on so we never forget to shut like we always forgot with chiller.

Just a thought...

This is free to try: Run your coolant but aim the nozzle(s) in to the enclosure, not on the table. That will circulate coolant around the spindle but not screw up your tooling.

Of course this doesn't work if you're using coolant on finish tools or drills or whatever. That would require putting in a seperate solenoid on a spare M code to control flood coolant versus spindle-cooling-coolant.

This is free to try: Run your coolant but aim the nozzle(s) in to the enclosure, not on the table. That will circulate coolant around the spindle but not screw up your tooling.

Of course this doesn't work if you're using coolant on finish tools or drills or whatever. That would require putting in a seperate solenoid on a spare M code to control flood coolant versus spindle-cooling-coolant.

we just hook hoses to coolant nozzles and run other end into coolant tank. no mess in cabinet, keeps everything clean and cool.

If you need a chiller, you need a chiller...

But if coolant is not adequate as coolant is getting too hot...you can try a cheap inline cooler.
Plumb lines thru hot water baseboard fin heating element. The kind with 5/8 copper lines and a bunch of alum fins...
You would need to slow the flow abit to allow for best heat transfer...but a 6' section really sucks a good deal of heat out.

I used in a pinch when my water cooled TIG welders chiller went out...again. It works so well I never reinstalled the chiller. Pump comes on when welder is turned on so we never forget to shut like we always forgot with chiller.

Just a thought...
Brilliant! Definitely going to try this. Seems like I could mount two 3ft heaters on the left side of the machine enclosure.

I'll elaborate. This machine cuts wood 95% of the time and aluminum with MQL the other 5%. The Pcool nozzle has been plumbed for air blast. There's no flood coolant at all, in fact the original coolant tank is in storage. There's a sealed reservoir/pump attached to flow distilled water through the headstock casting in a closed loop. But there's no radiator to get rid of the heat (yet)

Thanks for your sharing and useful information.

Our products are manufactured by the first developer in Taiwan who has a range of machinery and technology for plastics. Today, We have already attracted many foreign inventers that help them expand their production line equipment.

we are offers a variety of industrial water/air chillers that suit a wide range of industries.

The LED display controller from Europe provides accurate and stable temperature control. With high-efficiency evaporator and condenser, and all new structural design make sure the system is maximum use of all compressor capacity and easy maintenance.

All Flying Tiger machines are tested widely, making sure the chillers and cooling towers can work under all kinds of situations perfectly.

Back