What's new
What's new

Chip auger doesnt start or runs backwards

npolanosky

Cast Iron
On a 2006 VM3-
When I turn on the chip auger, it either sits there and hums until I help it start or it starts, but running backwards and I have to repeatedly stop and restart it to get it to go the right way. The machine is phased right, my tsc pump works properly and the phasing indicator is green. I have read that this might be a single phase motor with a start capacitor. If the start capacitor was bad, could it cause this behaviour?

My -05 lathe lost the start capacitor in the motor. It was a little tricky to find. Finally at an established electric motor shop. Grainger
etc was a no. Bit of time and a few bucks later it was running. Haas only sold the whole gearbox assy.

Sounds like the motor is weak and when it starts it thinks that the auger is jammed and reverses. That is what a good one would do.

You might find it has gotten moisture inside and needs a good cleaning.

If it is a 3-phase motor it runs on 2 phases perhaps ?
I wouls measure if there is a voltage on all 3 phases at the motor
If there is I would measure resistance between all 3 phases

Peter

Yes, the start capacitor has failed, or the centrifugal switch is not closing, or possibly the start winding is faulty, if it is single phase, and a single phase motor will run in either direction, but always runs in the direction of the pulse it recieves from the start winding, hence to reverse a single phase motor, you reverse the polarity of the start winding. if the motor does not have that awful smell associated with the escape of the magic smoke, it is probs the cap or the switch

Excellent, I'll dig into it when I have a moment. Sounds like I have a few different things I can check.

Back