What's new
What's new

Chip auger performance

Djstorm100

Cast Iron
How well does the standard chip auger perform? We were looking at a vf2ss or vf3. However I got the email blast about the vf4ss with the rotary table special for Haas. I've been told over and over to get the multi as the single auger doesn't work well.

You guys use these everyday, what is your opinion?

It has to do with what your working on ,, when I run tooling or one off parts the VF4ss does ok with the single auger ,, when I load the table up with fixtures and run a lot of alum it flat out sucks ...

if your filling a trash can a day single auger is ok ... if your doing a can a hour get the quad auger

FYI
I have both VF4SS and VF2SS mills and like the VF2SS mills a LOT more ,,, there WAY more easy to work with ,, the table is like 4" shorter and about 4" closer to the front of the machine ... I am at the point were if the job fits the the VF2SS mills I dont power up the Vf4 mill ..

Also the VF2SS well out cut the Vf4SS mill ,,,,,

Haas really doesnt have a great chip solution IMO. The single auger just rolls big bats of chips until they get stuck in the corner. The quad doesnt have the angles steep enough to move the chips so they get stuck under the table and in the corners and the chip conveyor doesnt handle big volume with its low height intake. Doesnt mean you cannot cut the sheetmetal but for the price a quad auger and chip conveyor should rock.

I have a few chips build up in the corners on my multi auger vf2ss mills but nothing that get to the point I have to wash them out tell the end of the job.. As for chip conveyors on a mill they suck unless you get the micro fine type and they run about 20K bucks ...... for the money the screw augers get the job done and I like how the chips that make it back to the tank go into the return screen and don`t end up in the tank like the conveyor systems ..

if it were me I'd do the multi screw . in my opinion they do work better than the single 1s.

Back