What's new
What's new

Clarification needed on using code posted in wear

sirAIG

Aluminum
I'm a noobie who is in the steep stages of the learning curve with my new (and generally new to cnc machining) MiniMill 2.

If using code posted in wear on the NGC (if different for a 2004 tm1, please elaborate)..... do I enter the tool diameter, or keep it at zero? I've read conflicting things and don't want any surprises when trying it this afternoon.

Thanks for any insight.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm a noobie who is in the steep stages of the learning curve with my new (and generally new to cnc machining) MiniMill 2.

If using code posted in wear on the NGC (if different for a 2004 tm1, please elaborate)..... do I enter the tool diameter, or keep it at zero? I've read conflicting things and don't want any surprises when trying it this afternoon.

Thanks for any insight.

In Mastercam (and pretty sure most), if you program wear comp, the cam calculates your toolpath based on a perfect diameter of your cutter (.500-.2500, etc). You want to start your wear comp at zero, or maybe +.002" if you are trying to hold a tight tolerance, than adjust wear comp as needed to get your part/tolerance to size.

DO NOT put in the tool diameter for wear comp! I never use tool diameter, but you would use it if you programmed control comp.

I don't understand "code posted in wear". Do you mean a value in the tool offset page for dia. and wear?

If so, it depends on your program. Did you program to the center of the tool or to the actual profile of the part?
Is your program using cutter comp?

Mike, that's the reply I needed, thank you!

Boozey, by wear, I mean the option for posting tool paths in cam software. I'm using fusion 360.

Back