Common problem with the vector drives? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tryhard View Post
    Listen here boy. It was stupid of you to try and step in to a conversation between men.
    You seem to be one of the 5% of new members that like to march into the bar and start throwing beer bottles around. Simple people require simple solutions...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    You seem to be one of the 5% of new members that like to march into the bar and start throwing beer bottles around. Simple people require simple solutions...
    Lol. Not really. But didn't like the millennial comment. The part of the thread that you copies to quote was part of the reaction to that.
    Machinists have always been such docile creatures.
    Like I said either it's a full moon or holiday stress. Just thought it was odd to have 2 members jump me in the same day and STILL not be on topic.
    Don't have a beef with you Milland. At least your criticism had a point. Perhaps a misunderstanding of a misunderstanding. But that random dude jumping in and attacking was kind of uncalled for. Then he took an underhanded swipe at Hoss too. ???
    Jayz sounds more like the beer bottle thrower you speak of.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is my go to source for answers such as your 'what is an SCR'?

Thyristors (SCRs)

It's a bit technical for my reptile brain but over time I have come to understand more. Look at the picture on the right, many shapes and sizes.

Think of an SCR as a super fast switch or valve.

I have never seen the inside of a Haas vector drive but the first place I would look is a heatsink, an aluminum plate that the fan is directed too. They will be attached there. I don't know if you can test them without removing first, I just always do. You can test with a multimeter, some need a dc power supply, 5 - 12 volts, I usually rig up a battery and some wires. YouTube is a great source for how too on these sort of things. To find a replacement, search the part number at Allied or Mouser electronics, both great sites for components. Most are remarkably inexpensive.

If you don't have any experience, look up ESD [electrostatic discharge]safety. Basically you do not want any chance of static electricity damaging other more sensitive components. You can damage them and not even know it. Work in cotton clothing on a metal benchtop that is wired to a metal water pipe, conduit or steel beam. SCRs are fairly rugged but not IC chips.

I'm with you, can't make it any more broken... but you can so take ESD precautions and pictures. You may just learn something and fix your machine. I have had some successes and failures but I always learn something.

Good Luck and let us know how it turned out.

EDIT:
    When I see a label:
    "NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE"

My response as I reach for my tools: "We will just have to see about that!"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice ad disguised as a message. Great way to save advertising money by answering a question I never asked. Didn't you sell me a 77 pinto?
    That ^^ response was just you being a dickhead... admit and move on.

Dupa doesn't post alot, but he has been here a long time, it wasn't an "ad" for anything.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sorry Dupa

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    That ^^ response was just you being a dickhead... admit and move on.

Dupa doesn't post alot, but he has been here a long time, it wasn't an "ad" for anything.
    Now I know. I do certainly apologize to dupa.
    But the SJW'S can go break a tap.

6. Likes BGL liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BGL View Post
    Here is my go to source for answers such as your 'what is an SCR'?

Thyristors (SCRs)

It's a bit technical for my reptile brain but over time I have come to understand more. Look at the picture on the right, many shapes and sizes.

Think of an SCR as a super fast switch or valve.

I have never seen the inside of a Haas vector drive but the first place I would look is a heatsink, an aluminum plate that the fan is directed too. They will be attached there. I don't know if you can test them without removing first, I just always do. You can test with a multimeter, some need a dc power supply, 5 - 12 volts, I usually rig up a battery and some wires. YouTube is a great source for how too on these sort of things. To find a replacement, search the part number at Allied or Mouser electronics, both great sites for components. Most are remarkably inexpensive.

If you don't have any experience, look up ESD [electrostatic discharge]safety. Basically you do not want any chance of static electricity damaging other more sensitive components. You can damage them and not even know it. Work in cotton clothing on a metal benchtop that is wired to a metal water pipe, conduit or steel beam. SCRs are fairly rugged but not IC chips.

I'm with you, can't make it any more broken... but you can so take ESD precautions and pictures. You may just learn something and fix your machine. I have had some successes and failures but I always learn something.

Good Luck and let us know how it turned out.

EDIT:
    When I see a label:
    "NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE"

My response as I reach for my tools: "We will just have to see about that!"
    Thank you BGL!
    I do have what I'd consider to be a mechanical knowledge and familiarity with electronics. Not sure what every component is called or what it does. Mainly try to get myself to a point where I can ask more quality questions. Don't have a desire to perform smoke tests myself but yes, that pesky sticker about "no user serviceable parts inside" always seems to challenge me. I've rarely found that to be the case. Haven't seen potted pcb assemblies in a long time.

Except for a small handful of people on here this forum leans more towards a community of machining related problem solving, not so much the DIY machinist type of problems. Guess I didn't recognize that until posting this thread.
    Thanks for the help!

8. Likes BGL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tryhard-

Ask a question here and there are a ton of very knowledgeable people here that are all too willing to offer help. Sometimes it does not come in the form you are asking for...but that's good too as it gives options you may not have thought about.
    Give it time Someone usually will eventually comes around who will offer an answer closer to what your looking for...that is unless they have been treated rude and took their knowledge elsewhere.

I don't mind poking around on a board that is toast to "try" and fix. But to poke around on a component costing several thousand that needs to be up and working in short order compared to pulling out to have serviced,tested and returned for 7-8 hundred with a guarantee...yeah, I'm jumping on that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SIM View Post
    Tryhard-

Ask a question here and there are a ton of very knowledgeable people here that are all too willing to offer help. Sometimes it does not come in the form you are asking for...but that's good too as it gives options you may not have thought about.
    Give it time Someone usually will eventually comes around who will offer an answer closer to what your looking for...that is unless they have been treated rude and took their knowledge elsewhere.

I don't mind poking around on a board that is toast to "try" and fix. But to poke around on a component costing several thousand that needs to be up and working in short order compared to pulling out to have serviced,tested and returned for 7-8 hundred with a guarantee...yeah, I'm jumping on that.
    Thanks SIM!
    I fully understand what you are saying from a jobshop business perspective. 30urs in mfg. Been there done that.

Most guys on here are all about shipping parts. I can certainly understand that too. Some I've found are very knowledgeable about the inner workings of the machines.

Now, having the luxury of time on my side in a hobbyish situation just thought I'd pick some of those brains.
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now, having the luxury of time on my side in a hobbyish situation just thought I'd pick some of those brains.
    Cheers

Someday that may be me making a hobby out of this...

Till then its work.

Yes, lots of guys here are intimate with the innards of the machines. I had one gent take the time to walk me through a problem I was having with one of my CNC lathes years ago.

The factory in conjunction with THEIR technician basically put their hand up and said no more could be done at my place to fix the problem. If I wanted to ship it to Ohio they would look into it more...ummm ya want me to rig and ship a 10 year old 5000lb machine to Ohio to fix???

Anyway, after complaining and asking if anyone knew other services guys or places- - someone from this site contacted me, someone that used to work for them and agreed to walk me through a few possible issues after he got home from work. That is if I was Willing to do the probing and checking over the phone and/or on the computer. Was I willing SURE!
    2nd night my machine was back up and running.

I wasn't asking anyone to go out of their way to help me in that manner...I was just looking for a place to call for help. Help came in a different form then I was looking.

Since then lots of other answers have really helped me look at problems I was having differently and get them resolves...I hope I've helped others as well in that time.

I know you get it...but

Just to beat the horse till its beyond dead and pulverized...guys have left this forum before because of someones comments. They not only burnt their bridges, but ours as too.

Be well.