What's new
What's new

Coolant Hose Issue?

charlie gary

Stainless
We have a Haas VF2 with some very odd debris clogging the coolant strainer and nozzles. A guy opened up the strainer and pulled this funky green debris out. To me it looks like the inside of a hose, but since I haven't taken anything apart I'm just guessing. Has anybody else seen anything like this?

Haas VF2 - Charlie Gary

could be Mountain Dew? Or he could be a California transplant up here in seattle trying to raise seaweed in his coolant tank ... I do know one thing ,,, If its green some one in washington well be selling it and someone else well be smoking it.

could be Mountain Dew? Or he could be a California transplant up here in seattle trying to raise seaweed in his coolant tank ... I do know one thing ,,, If its green some one in washington well be selling it and someone else well be smoking it.
That is how you tell what resin it's made from.

Doesn't look chewed up enough to have gone through the pump. My guess is the coolant hose doesn't like your coolant.

Is it sort of gummy/rubbery, breaks in bending, not very strong in tension? The Mountain Dew comment may not be far off. I am dead serious here.. You should see what becomes of a gallon of Coke-Cola syrup once dry.

It's a long explanation of how I know this but if you take a liter of soda,mix with two liters of clean water add a dime size dollop of dish soap. Stir well and allow to sit you will get in a few days a layer of a brown rubbery material on top. This material is corn syrup with the water separated out. I imagine it would be green with Mt Dew.

The components of coolant could very well act as soap and my suspicion is somebody accidentally or intentionally dumped soda into the coolant.

Just a theory but it is based on fact and experience. If you ever worked in a place with a soda fountain, you know this material.

I'm inclined to agree w/ DavidScott's assessment - It looks like the internal liner of a hose which has failed and separated ?? It's an interesting post for sure. Tell us if you figure it out.

Is it sort of gummy/rubbery, breaks in bending, not very strong in tension? The Mountain Dew comment may not be far off. I am dead serious here.. You should see what becomes of a gallon of Coke-Cola syrup once dry.

It's a long explanation of how I know this but if you take a liter of soda,mix with two liters of clean water add a dime size dollop of dish soap. Stir well and allow to sit you will get in a few days a layer of a brown rubbery material on top. This material is corn syrup with the water separated out. I imagine it would be green with Mt Dew.

The components of coolant could very well act as soap and my suspicion is somebody accidentally or intentionally dumped soda into the coolant.

Just a theory but it is based on fact and experience. If you ever worked in a place with a soda fountain, you know this material.

Fortunately we have the kind of shop where people don't do that type of stuff. My guess is the flexible coolant hoses aren't compatible with Cimcool Cimtech 320.

I think your problem is Cimcool. Worst shit I ever tried. After about 3 months it would start to gel up and clog all the screens. Inside of the machine would be covered in green slime.

Ditch the Cimcool, ditch the problem

you might call Bob taylor at Application specialties inc in kent ... I changed to Qualichem 250C collant a few years ago and its hands down the best stuff I have ever found .... FYI .. Ask for a free bucket to get started with ,,,

Clean out the old stuff as good as you can then flush new stuff for a hour or so at 2% mix then clean once more and fill at 7% .....

We have a Haas VF2 with some very odd debris clogging the coolant strainer and nozzles. A guy opened up the strainer and pulled this funky green debris out. To me it looks like the inside of a hose, but since I haven't taken anything apart I'm just guessing. Has anybody else seen anything like this?

Haas VF2 - Charlie Gary

Just wanted to revive this and see if you found the source of those debris?

I also have a June 2015 machine (VF-3). Just recently I lost coolant flow to the Pcool & nozzle ring but not the flushing or wash down hose. I ended up disconnecting the Pcool / coolant ring then unscrewed the coolant hose after the check valve and hooked up the shop air... BOOM, huge chunks of debris came flying out of the hose. Same exact stuff as in your photo just a different color. I got an off-white / light brown color with that same ribbed pattern as on the hose.

I used Blaser 2015-2017 then switched to Qualichem in 2017, it was great until now. Coolant dissolving the hose maybe?

I blasted out the hose 12 times with air clearing more debris each time, seemed fixed, hooked everything back up then it clogged up again. Time for a new hose I guess.

2015 VF4 SS, same thing with the tannish brown liner coming out of the spider. Also used Blaser synthetic coolant. So it's the main coolant line coming from the reservoir that's breaking down ? Haas should send out replacements for free but talk about a company who's customer service has hit rock bottom, that's Haas.

Another set of 2015 machines here, mill & lathe with the same tan colored hose liner issues mentioned above. We're using SterlingCool 77 semi-synthetic. After cleaning sumps & checking impellers we narrowed it down to replacing the coolant hoses which solved the issues.

Another set of 2015 machines here, mill & lathe with the same tan colored hose liner issues mentioned above. We're using SterlingCool 77 semi-synthetic. After cleaning sumps & checking impellers we narrowed it down to replacing the coolant hoses which solved the issues.
What did you replace the hoses with? Do you have a part number? 93-2336?

I've got the same issue on 2 machines. They are 2014/2015. Disconnected and moved to a different spot in the shop. Downtime was about a week. I'm guessing that tan-color liner dried up? and now it's washing out.. Unfortunately it does a great job of clogging up the nozzles.

Back