What's new
What's new

coolant pump questions

nhcaveman

Plastic
So we recently got a 2006 Haas VF1B with minimal use, but it didn't come with a coolant tank or pump.

Haas wants about $3750+ for the tank, pump, and coolant float level sensor field adapt kit.

Boss doesn't want to spend the money at this point until he sees the machine is worth the added investment.

The plan is, we have a tank and pump from an old Matsuura. We cannot use the pump as it is 3 phase so I've been instructed to buy a pump from Grainger, I've added the link to the one I was told to order. He plans to just put it in the tank, but does not know how we'll turn it off and on, I believe it will come with a type B 3 prong grounded plug, not a twist lock plug as the OEM pump would have.

Here come my questions:

How does the machine turn the coolant on and off? Does it just simply turn the power to the twist lock receptacle on and off?

If yes, could I just simply plug the type B, 3 prong grounded plug into a twist lock adapter such as the one in the Amazon link below and get the same result?

Or is there more to it?

LITTLE GIANT Plug-In Utility Pump, HP 1'/'2, Body Material Stainless Steel, Max. Head 37.0 ft - 5EAF8'|'FLS-400 - Grainger

Amazon.com: Conntek PL520520 NEMA L5-20P to NEMA 5-15/20R Pigtail Adapter, UL Listed: Sports & Outdoors

My opinion, fwiw, if you cobble this together and make it work, the boss will never buy the upgrade to the Haas kit. Why would he, if it works...

My opinion, fwiw, if you cobble this together and make it work, the boss will never buy the upgrade to the Haas kit. Why would he, if it works...

I get that, I do.

But I still need to have coolant, so if it works that's fine. But will it work?

For $450, you could do much much better!
For much much less than that, you could just go to Grainger and buy a 220V 3 pole NO relay ( I believe the pumps are 240V single phase and not 120V )
Then go to Home Cheapo, buy a 15A/250V twistlock male cordcap, some 12/3 SO cable and an 8x8 plastic box.
Wire the whole thing up so the relay is activated by the 220V output of the Haas, but it then turns on the 3ph pump from the Matsuura, powered from an external source.

If it works and the Boss likes it, then paint the friggin' thing white ( with a spray can from 2 feet away, right where it is ) and go grab a cold one.

Seriously, that pump you've linked to is a ridiculous joke, and if the Matsuura tank fits under the Haas without leaks, then why bother with anything else?

Not sure where you went this this but in principle, the Circuit is a 240Vac 1 phase. Output via K7 relay, and the K6/Relay. (see pic). Mine has a 3 prong twist plug for the coolant pump to plug into. Pressing the coolant button on the keyboard tells the I/O board and the K6 relay pulls in. turning the pump on.

The electrical service manuals have most of the basics...

https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam...english---vf-series-service-manual---2002.pdf
page 346

240Pump1.jpg

240Pump2.jpg

why not look for a used tank and pump they are out there check fleabay. otherwise look up northern machine tool services out of IL they may have a used unit in their used parts stock. get a complete used haas setup and be done with it probably pick up a setup for $1000 or so.

Back