Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Coolant spraying up into spindle

Hi all. I have a Haas TM-2P with a 6k grease packed spindle. The machine is new. On the outside of the enclosure, next to the spray hose, there's a picture forbidding spraying coolant upwards towards the spindle, even with a tool in the spindle. Obviously, I would never do that. But! I have some toolpaths that use small end mills (1/16"), so I need to get that spindle just above the work piece. When I'm machining with coolant, often times, the coolant likes to reflect off the metal and go upwards into the spindle at full force. Whether or not any coolant actually gets into the spindle, I couldn't say.

Should I be concerned about that? Or is that totally normal and nothing to worry about?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post a picture of a typical small endmill setup, let us see how you have the coolant nozzles arranged.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay, I'll be able to take a pic of my setup in a few hours. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unlikely that significant amounts of coolant is getting into the spindle as long as you have a tool mounted in it and aren't blasting straight at the taper all day.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some times, on some machines one can lip in/on an o-ring at a place perhaps 1/4" away from the intersect of the seal and divert much coolant spray away.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You guys have seen a Haas do a tool change after running thru coolant? Everything, (tool shank, spindle taper, ball grippers and everything else) is dripping wet with coolant. I'm thinking that sticker is a cover-your-ass sticker. Or are the grease pack spindles different somehow?

7. Likes michiganbuck, Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    You guys have seen a Haas do a tool change after running thru coolant? Everything, (tool shank, spindle taper, ball grippers and everything else) is dripping wet with coolant. I'm thinking that sticker is a cover-your-ass sticker. Or are the grease pack spindles different somehow?

Yes it is a mess. It might be their air blast isn't long enough after thru spindle coolant, or maybe just shoddy design, I dunno.Don't know about grease pack spindles being different or better..
    One thing I do know (or maybe I know from Haas LoL) is to not use the thru spindle unless needed. It takes a min (figure of speech here) to kick on, and a min to turn off, not worth it for 30 seconds of drilling, UNLESS there is a real need (deep hole, nasty material, etc).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You may be right, it may very well be a 'cover your @ss' sticker. Above it are two more stickers telling me not to spray under the way covers.....but the TM doesn't have way covers. I just wanted to double-check and make sure I'm not damaging my machine in the long-term

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've worked with quite a few Haas Mills, some with tsc some without...I've never had a tool come out with coolant on it's taper, even with the coolant soaking the spindle while machining.

The warning is for when there is no tool in the spindle, especially during washdown. This holds true with any machine.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess it's not the taper I'm concerned about so much as the bearings, which I think are on the other side of the wall from the taper. It just threw me off because the warning picture clearly has a tool in the spindle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's likely a fully sealed bearing arrangement (given the low max RPM), but when you can avoid it it's still a good idea to try to position the nozzles where there won't be as much splashing towards the spindle. Having them aligned at a lower angle will help, as will lowering the flow pressure when it's not needed.

Does this machine have the blue plastic segmented hoses, or the ring around the spindle housing with short nozzles?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think lowering the pressure and getting some of the blue hoses is a good idea. For now, it's a ring with 3 short nozzles, none of which are aligned with where my endmill is :p

Anyway, I'll stop worrying about it so much. From the responses here, it sounds like it shouldn't be a big problem.

Thanks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    I've worked with quite a few Haas Mills, some with tsc some without...I've never had a tool come out with coolant on it's taper, even with the coolant soaking the spindle while machining.

The warning is for when there is no tool in the spindle, especially during washdown. This holds true with any machine.
    Interesting. A bit OT, but they did a software update on a UMC750 I ran that turned on the tsc coolant at startup (power up/restart). What a fuc*ed thing that was!! Forgot about it a few times and had a facemill in the spindle at shut down. OOPS!

I was told it was to make sure the whatchacallits (seals or union?) got lubed (or something to that effect)...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Interesting. A bit OT, but they did a software update on a UMC750 I ran that turned on the tsc coolant at startup (power up/restart). What a fuc*ed thing that was!! Forgot about it a few times and had a facemill in the spindle at shut down. OOPS!

I was told it was to make sure the whatchacallits (seals or union?) got lubed (or something to that effect)...
    I used to have fun with guys looking into the machine while running, especially when a through coolant shell mill would come up lol