What's new
What's new

Corrupted G-Code?

crane550

Plastic
Hi,

2013 Haas VS4-SS
Transferring to Haas via USB

I have had a few minor crashes caused by corrupted G-code. In all cases these were proven programs I have used many times before, but I will be running a program and all of the sudden my Y will go to zero. Worst that has happened if I have scrapped a couple parts and broke a bit...but that was just with a 1/4 EM. I'm super paranoid now that this would happen with my ShearHog.

A few times before it would just have one random character in the G-code and the machine would stop. The last couple times I have broken bits.

I have used several different flash drives including a brand new SanDisk. I always eject before taking it out of my computer, and I always ground myself before touching the flash drive or the machine. I need to get to the bottom of this.

Any ideas?

corrupt1.jpg

corrupt2.jpg

your problem is the flash drives. if that were rs232 into the control. it would stop downloading, strip off the un recognize text and give you a alarm.

Hoss... Are you saying it's a bad flash drive? Or a problem of reading from a flash drive?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

could be either a corrupt thumb drive. ( most likely) or something in your in your computer causing it. the haas control has 2 major flaws. 1 it doesn't like a a thumb drive with antivirus. 2 when using a thumb drive, the control has no protection of corrupt files. they didn't design the system the same as they did the rs232. or the disc drive.

Don't think it's the flash drives, since it has happened to 3 different drives. I also don't think it's the computer, I have been using one of the flash drives to transfer to another CNC for years and years with never a single issue.

Did the Haas have problems with the USB ports at one point?

the haas doesn't generate the code. it accepts the code. something in either you computer or stick is the problem. there is a lot unsee hexadecimal information in the code that is not seen by us. if something in that has a bug or not correct it carrys it to the haas. when the haas doesn't understand it. it does it's best to show it .that way you know something is up.

Im with Hoss on the thumb drive being the culprit. A lot of the newer drives are partitioned as bootable and Haas controls don't like this. I have several Sandisk, Seagate and Sony's that don't jive with Haas controls. They either are a bootable drive or have antivirus on them that even if you run a format it's still there. Try using one of the cheap ones that Haas gives out when you buy the machine. They've always been compatible for me.

I've had horrible luck with ScamDisk flash drives. Are you running the code from the flash drive, of loading it into memeory first?
When you load the program into memory, the control should error on bad code.

could be either a corrupt thumb drive. ( most likely) or something in your in your computer causing it. the haas control has 2 major flaws. 1 it doesn't like a a thumb drive with antivirus. 2 when using a thumb drive, the control has no protection of corrupt files. they didn't design the system the same as they did the rs232. or the disc drive.
If I load the program to machine memory prior to running it, will it catch the errors in code then?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

it might very well. bet the data transfer is not the same as floppy or rs232. for sure I know it would red flag it if you were transferring data that way. the usb for lack of a better explanation is a more of a open window to transfer data. and because of that it could very well slip through. were as the rs232 and floppy only looks for code.

We have 9 Haas machines that communicate via rs232 and a hub controled with Preditor software. One of these machines will do something stupid when the power to the hub is shot off if the machine is operating when the power is shut off. If we turn off the hub while the machine is stopped there is no problem. It has on a couple of times "crashed" but more often than not it will stop moving and put "waiting" on the bottom of the screen. When it is "waiting" it will spin the spindle and run the coolant, nothing else. It will not have an alarm when it runs out of air, it will not shut off with the power off timer. If you are there when it does it you can hit cycle start and it will function as if in "single block". We do not drip feed, the programs are loaded into the machine but it is still listening to something on the rs232. We have swapped the rs232 cable with other machines but the 1 machine has this issue. Haas worked on it some when it was new but never found out why.

I had a machine that would just freeze. I ended up zeroing all of my offsets (both work and tool), and re-entering the values. There seemed to be a relationship between the tables and the program. This was the advice from a Haas tech.

On a related topic, I have had the machine (NGC) alarm out with "UNKNOWN CODE". Turns out there was an extra digit between two blocks. In edit mode it would disappear and the only way to remove was to delete a adjacent block and re-enter it. The machine is set up through ethernet and it seems Notepad ++, which is what I use to edit offline, adds the hidden digit randomly.

Anyone else ever have the same problem?

do you run your simulation first before running programs? Our Haas mills the guys are always running jobs because once in a while our predator software seems to like to wrap a line a code when sending programs out of the machine to the network.

Back