What's new
What's new

Crash. Can I tram a Haas Mini Mill myself?

SenorAguas

Plastic
I crashed the mini mill. Long story short, it was a plunge, and the 45 chamfer on the tool holder pushed into the corner of the steel work, pushing the spindle sideways. The spindle sounds fine and the machine seems to cut fine. Except a face mill shows that the machine is out of tram. I swept an indicator and its showing about 0.003"-0.004" across 10 inches.

I've seen in a 10 year old thread that this can be shimmed without too much trouble. Has anyone out there done this?

Are these the correct bolts to loosen (see picture)? I figure I loosen these bolts, use the threaded hole to jack the column casting up, then shim and tighten it back down.

I know this probably isn't the proper way to do it since the spindle and rails may no longer be perfectly aligned to each other, but is it really that bad of a method?

Its a new mill, will this void the warranty?

minimill.jpg

no those bolts appear to be the column.

you will probably need to remove a bunch of covers around the spindle to get to the bolts that hold it to the z axis assembly.

somewhere behind all that https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam...indle.png/jcr:content/renditions/original.png

allegedly there are shims under those 6 bolts that hold the spindle in the machine, so fixing it may be as easy as replacing the shims.

I'm assuming the crash shifted the Z axis assembly relative to the bearing blocks... if that's the case it makes me wonder if, in theory at least.. you should loosen the bolts on the bearing blocks and re-tighten them. the reason why being that if only 2 or 3 of the blocks shifted, the 1 or two that didn't would retain a significant amount of torque in them, which would cause that block to wear out faster.

Its a new mill, will this void the warranty? good question.

I guess I would want to figure out is it the axis or the spindle

so if an indicator on an angle block shows the drift when you move the Z then the entire axis is kicked out.

If not then the spindle within the axis is out

no those bolts appear to be the column.

you will probably need to remove a bunch of covers around the spindle to get to the bolts that hold it to the z axis assembly.

somewhere behind all that https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam...indle.png/jcr:content/renditions/original.png

allegedly there are shims under those 6 bolts that hold the spindle in the machine, so fixing it may be as easy as replacing the shims.

I'm assuming the crash shifted the Z axis assembly relative to the bearing blocks... if that's the case it makes me wonder if, in theory at least.. you should loosen the bolts on the bearing blocks and re-tighten them. the reason why being that if only 2 or 3 of the blocks shifted, the 1 or two that didn't would retain a significant amount of torque in them, which would cause that block to wear out faster.

Its a new mill, will this void the warranty? good question.

I did this on a TM1 we had at a previous shop, the head was out of tram left to right.....loosened the bolts on the bearing blocks and used jack screws to make fine adjustments to get it back in tram!

The machine ran fine after words with the tram back in spec!

Kevin

First thing.
The bolts in your photograph - do not touch them with a wrench EVER!

Second.
Void warranty - most certainly!

Third.
There is a difference between the Z axis casting being racked and the spindle not tramming to the table.

You wrote "I swept an indicator and its showing about 0.003"-0.004" across 10 inches." you did not mention the axis?

Is it X or Y?

Think of the circle as a dinner plate, is it tilted right/left (X) or forward/back (Y)

If along X axis I could see bsg's solution. Along the Y axis I would suspect some serious damage to the rail bearing
cartridges,possibly stretched bolts?? In either case however you could correct it by tramming and shimming the
spindle face mount as mentioned. If you do the trigonometry it does not take much to make the error your measuring.

I would suggest some serious close examination by expert and experienced persons. No insult intended, we all learn everyday,
but if you thought to work bolts in your picture you don't seem to understand the construction of the machine.

I have done this on my 1991 VF 0 I rebuilt. I even found a difference between having the middle two base jack screws tight or loose. It took me a very tedious eighteen hours over two days to go from the numbers you are seeing to less than 0.0002". A task not to hurry nor bulldoze, this is machine repair at one of its its highest levels. That was five years ago and two minor D'oh! I figure not bad for her 28 years.

If you can shadow the expert help it would be a great learning opportunity for you. I have done this throughout my career and many priceless lessons learned. A friendly helpful attitude and offer of adult beverage after work has great value.

Submitted with respect and encouragement,
B

If it might be an issue to void your warranty, would you be better off having it done though a shop to maintain your warranty.

Most likely you moved the head casting on the rail blocks, the bolts are not very big or very tight. This will also put your nut out of alignment with your screw, same for your tool changer. You really need to have this fixed by someone who knows what they are doing.

Can't tell much from photo..But

Calculate the shim need. if you find .003-.004 in a 10" circle that is about 3 tenths per inch.
So if the thing's base is 4" then the shim might be a little over .001 to a little over ,0015

Back