What's new
What's new

Determining Toolchanger Holder Type - 2008 TM2

Jrill

Aluminum
Got a 2008 TM2 last week. Is there a setting or parameter or label or page of the manual or something that would tell me whether the toolchanger is a BT40 or a CAT40?

Got a 2008 TM2 last week. Is there a setting or parameter or label or page of the manual or something that would tell me whether the toolchanger is a BT40 or a CAT40?

Hello Jrill,
Possibly not, but you can tell the difference just by looking at the Tool Grip Slippers of the Tool Change Arm. The truncated V section that will engage with the groove in the Tool Holder Flange is chunkier for the BT40 Tool Holder. You will find dimensioned drawing on the Internet of each type of holder. With these, you will be able to determine by measurement if the Tool Grip Slipper is for BT40 or CAT40. Also, the Drive Dogs in the face of the spindle for CAT40 are arranged so that the Tool Holder will only seat in the Spindle orientated one way; conversely, the Drive Dogs for a BT40 will allow the Tool Holder to seat in the Spindle indexed either way.

It seems that you don't have tools for the machine. That being the case and if you're still unsure, have a Tool Rep bring a Tool Holder (BT40, or CAT40) and try placing it in the Tool Change arm by hand. If it fits, then its whatever the Tool Rep brought with him. If it doesn't, then of course its the alternative.

Another surefire method is to call Haas and specify the serial number of the machine.

Regards,

Bill

I didn't find a label that said anything relevant in the cabinet.

A cat40 holder fits in both ways in the spindle. The fingers that grab the groove of the holder are about 0.245" thick. I did an E Stop with an empty spindle/carousel as it was changing and it seems from my measurements that the top of the finger is 0.065" below the top of the flat part of the groove of a Cat40 holder, and the bottom is more misaligned. Does all this indicate bt40? I don't have a BT40 holder and I'm not sure if I can try a tool change with a CAT40 without risking some kind of damage?

It appears to be BT40 based on everything I've looked up so far.

Can I convert the toolchanger to Cat40 by just buying new V groove fingers? How expensive would that be? What about all those springs? Would I need to change the Z0.000 location?

It appears to be BT40 based on everything I've looked up so far.

Can I convert the toolchanger to Cat40 by just buying new V groove fingers? How expensive would that be? What about all those springs? Would I need to change the Z0.000 location?

Hello Jrill,
Yes, you can convert form BT40 to CAT40 and visa versa. The CAT and BT tool holders are different dimensions from the face where the Pull Stud tightens up on, to the Gauge Line of the Taper. This difference is normally taken up by the thickness of the Pull Stud Flange. All other aspects of the Pull Stud are the same (for the make of machine), so that the gripper of the Draw Bar doesn't have to be touched. See the attached pictures of Pull Studs (BT and CAT) for a Fadal Machine. Therefore, the only modifications you would need to make are the slippers of the Tool Arm and the Drive Dogs of the Spindle Nose (if you want to convert truly CAT and only be able to load the tool indexed in one direction). The parts required are not all that hard to make.
BT 40 PS.JPGCat 40 PS.JPG

After the mechanical Mods are completed, the Tool Change position of the Z axis will have to be reset. To do this:

1. Manipulate the Tool Arm mechanism so that its in the position ready to move in and engage with a tool in the spindle.

2. Mount a Tool Holder, where its end face, or under side of the Tool Change Flange is accessible, into the Tool Change Arm.

3. Using a height gauge, or any other device that can hold a dial indicator, so that it can touch and be Zeroed on the end face, or under side of Tool Change Flange. You may have to set the device on tall packing blocks to reach the surface of the Tool Holder.

4. Reference Return the Z axis of the machine. If G30 is used for the Z Tool Change Position, execute G30.

5. Select the Relative Position Display Page and Zero the Z axis Display.

6. Remove the Tool Holder from Tool Arm and load it into the Spindle.

7. Without disturbing the setting of the Dial Indicator, move it to touch the same surface used in Point 2 above of the Tool Holder now in the Spindle.

8. You will probably have to move the Z axis a small amount via Hand-wheel to achieve Zero on the Dial Indicator so that the Tool Holder in the Spindle is at the same height as when it was in the Tool Change Arm.

9. Note any change of Z axis Position displayed on the Relative Position Page. This is the amount and direction you have to change the Z axis Tool Change Position by.

Regards,

Bill

Back