Do we have a repair option? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Staten Island NewYork USA
    Posts
    3,624
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1035
    Likes (Received)
    1717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    The other thing when doing your own conversion - you get to know the machine inside and out. You don't have to call the tech to fix it.

    sam

    Yup I agree with this...but I want to machine parts, not take the time to learn my 10-15-20 year old machine in and out...again.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    664
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    553
    Likes (Received)
    342

    Default

    Wow. Sounds like we lucked out getting ours at the very end of 2015, one of the last pre-NGC machines.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    62
    Likes (Received)
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    Hopefully they read all the lovely threads here on the first page of the HAAS sub-forum!
    Or maybe, if they want to stay in business (unlike Sequoia-CNC), they shouldn't even click the link!
    Sequoia-CNC, was a bit flaky and if I remember right, they were touting their parts as genuine Haas parts, or calling them Haas parts or putting Haas stickers on them. They were also selling lights from China that cost like $30.00 for hundreds.

    All in all, it is not illegal to fix parts.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    244
    Likes (Received)
    946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by machineit2 View Post
    All in all, it is not illegal to fix parts.
    Tell that to the many Right to repair lawsuits going on across the country right now. When a company like John Deere argues that the many hundreds of thousands you spent to purchase the machine only really gives you the right to use it, not to fix it and wont release the tech software to diagnosis the machine to anyone willing to pay for it, instead keeps it just to their dealers that charge exorbitant prices. Makes me wonder if that the road Haas is going down, and soon you wont be able to add way oil to the machine without a tech call or something really stupid like that. I miss Sequoia, as they had some nice repair alternatives and instructions to do it yourself.

    8 States Have Introduced Right to Repair Legislation, Apple to Oppose | iFixit

  5. Likes Milland liked this post
  6. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    62
    Likes (Received)
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Machining View Post
    Tell that to the many Right to repair lawsuits going on across the country right now. When a company like John Deere argues that the many hundreds of thousands you spent to purchase the machine only really gives you the right to use it, not to fix it and wont release the tech software to diagnosis the machine to anyone willing to pay for it, instead keeps it just to their dealers that charge exorbitant prices. Makes me wonder if that the road Haas is going down, and soon you wont be able to add way oil to the machine without a tech call or something really stupid like that. I miss Sequoia, as they had some nice repair alternatives and instructions to do it yourself.

    8 States Have Introduced Right to Repair Legislation, Apple to Oppose | iFixit
    You are adding the right to the software which is different, but I want to see this go to this Supreme Court. I think we will get justice then.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holmen, Wi
    Posts
    194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    14

    Default

    linuxcnc...

    free as in beer and speech...

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hillsboro, New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1489
    Likes (Received)
    4360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by machineit2 View Post
    You are adding the right to the software which is different, but I want to see this go to this Supreme Court. I think we will get justice then.
    Perhaps. Setting aside partisan politics, it's been clear that the SCOTUS has been driving further Right, towards favoring corporations and big money. The (likely) new guy will just help complete that.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    62
    Likes (Received)
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Perhaps. Setting aside partisan politics, it's been clear that the SCOTUS has been driving further Right, towards favoring corporations and big money. The (likely) new guy will just help complete that.
    Don't mean to get into a political discussion, but the court is not going toward corporations and big business, it is going toward a strict interpretation of the constitution and the freedom that it delivers. Believe me, this hits the court and we will get the outcome we want and DESERVE!

    Mike

  10. Likes BILLMCCANDLESS liked this post
  11. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Yes when we Repair the boards, you have to get Haas to install the OS, ss#, bill code, parameters, etc before the machine will run properly. We warranty our repairs for 12 months and put a video on our YouTube channel for everyone to see it. We try and go the extra mile to make sure it works right the first time. We currently have 3 machines for testing only and adding more
    In the near future.

  12. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    You will have to get Haas to load the OS back on the boards for your machine and we do repair the boards down to component level. We also video your boards working in our machine after the repair is complete.

    Our youtube channel:

    YouTube

  13. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    244
    Likes (Received)
    946

    Default

    So as not to pollute Davids shop thread too much.

    I was looking around on Haas parts site last nite and see this came up and still listed for sale, not sure if this is right or what but are they selling refurbs now?
    PCB, MOCON COLDFIRE | Mocon | Electrical Cabinet | Find Replacement Parts | Haas Parts | Genuine OEM Haas Automation(R) Parts Factory-Direct

    And then searching that # on Google came up with this listing from a place in IL that apparently refurbs boards too. Makes me wonder if you'd still need a tech to install software or something stupid like that.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Haas-Automati...ard/1908035692

    Zaritron
    I wonder if this is resulting from some of the right to repair laws or if Haas will shut them down before too long??

  14. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    62
    Likes (Received)
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Machining View Post
    So as not to pollute Davids shop thread too much.

    I was looking around on Haas parts site last nite and see this came up and still listed for sale, not sure if this is right or what but are they selling refurbs now?
    PCB, MOCON COLDFIRE | Mocon | Electrical Cabinet | Find Replacement Parts | Haas Parts | Genuine OEM Haas Automation(R) Parts Factory-Direct

    And then searching that # on Google came up with this listing from a place in IL that apparently refurbs boards too. Makes me wonder if you'd still need a tech to install software or something stupid like that.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Haas-Automati...ard/1908035692

    Zaritron
    I wonder if this is resulting from some of the right to repair laws or if Haas will shut them down before too long??
    I use Zaritron often, good people. I believe the reloading of the software is only because it can't be retained during repair.
    Last edited by machineit2; 04-19-2019 at 12:54 PM.

  15. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    barcelona, spain
    Posts
    2,194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    499
    Likes (Received)
    1330

    Default

    Anyone who thinks that linuxcnc will implement a HAAS-compatible control using one of many SoC systems with linuxcnc-derived code .. is simply wrong.

    The linuxcnc will run very well.
    With many caveats.
    Some SoCs will run well to ok, to so-so, to poor, with very many caveats.

    Almost all systems like Beaglebone whatever implement a very small subset of gcode, with endless missing critical features.

    Examples;
    Arcs (issues),
    offsets (wear and toolpost#n-tool#a offsets),
    rear toolposts (lathe),
    css,
    rigid tap and rigid threading,
    inverse mode (aka feed/rev) tend not to be implemented well, or at all, and are not documented.
    Especially in using run-from-here, variables, sub-program calls, etc etc.

    Thermal compensation tends not to exist.
    Screw mapping tends not to exist.
    None above are documented with sample programs showing this should do that.

    When running a lathe spindle in reverse (M4) and threading inside-out the arcs, the offsets, and the pullouts probably do not work correctly.
    If you feedhold or stop (not estop) the machine and continue, it is common that one or more issues occur, leading to the mahchine crashing in usually spectacular ways, with a tool inside a workpiece, and full-rapids trying to rip it from the chuck (lathe).
    These issues may be present in metric-only mode, or imperial and metric.
    These issues may depend on the hw controller outputting the pulses.

  16. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    5,586
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6821
    Likes (Received)
    6968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JP Machining View Post
    So as not to pollute Davids shop thread too much.

    I was looking around on Haas parts site last nite and see this came up and still listed for sale, not sure if this is right or what but are they selling refurbs now?
    PCB, MOCON COLDFIRE | Mocon | Electrical Cabinet | Find Replacement Parts | Haas Parts | Genuine OEM Haas Automation(R) Parts Factory-Direct

    And then searching that # on Google came up with this listing from a place in IL that apparently refurbs boards too. Makes me wonder if you'd still need a tech to install software or something stupid like that.
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Haas-Automati...ard/1908035692

    Zaritron
    I wonder if this is resulting from some of the right to repair laws or if Haas will shut them down before too long??
    That is the mocon board (motor control). The bastard is the maincon board (main control) AKA: processor.

  17. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,335
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    244
    Likes (Received)
    946

    Default

    Ahh, yeah a while after I wrote it, I started wondering if that was the right board or not.

  18. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    30

    Default

    The ngc controls use an arm soc.. Having done some work with linuxcnc, I agree with the difficulty, one of which would be a comparable interface.

  19. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    Linuxcnc isn't dictating how the estop works - you as a machine integrator are. You make it as safe or as scary as you want. If you want only the gui button to act as the only estop - that is your prerogative. is it safe? Heck no!

    We have converted a few machines now. The very first circuit we setup is the physical estop loop. The computer has no control over it (other than reseting it after all the mushrooms/overloads/overtravels/whatevers are fixed.)

    The K&T we converted kills power to everything except the computer. (servo drives, spindle, hydraulic units and so on) The thing has 8 tons of cutting force - and I trust that when I hit the big red button - it is going to stop.

    The other thing when doing your own conversion - you get to know the machine inside and out. You don't have to call the tech to fix it.

    sam
    The Estop has to be the easiest thing to retrofit on a haas probably only two wires involved, run right to a relay/contactor. Its the processor integration that is going to be time consuming, but you can bet Haas isn't going to let you mess with their software, or hardware without a legal fight, they have a name to protect so you wont be allowed to install NGC on any board but their own. However if you did create your own interface using an older haas keypad with your own software not looking like haas in any way shape or form, it would most certainly take hundreds more hours of development than only 150 hours,

  20. #38
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    ca, US
    Posts
    252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    Anyone who thinks that linuxcnc will implement a HAAS-compatible control using one of many SoC systems with linuxcnc-derived code .. is simply wrong.

    The linuxcnc will run very well.
    With many caveats.
    Some SoCs will run well to ok, to so-so, to poor, with very many caveats.

    Almost all systems like Beaglebone whatever implement a very small subset of gcode, with endless missing critical features.

    Examples;
    Arcs (issues),
    offsets (wear and toolpost#n-tool#a offsets),
    rear toolposts (lathe),
    css,
    rigid tap and rigid threading,
    inverse mode (aka feed/rev) tend not to be implemented well, or at all, and are not documented.
    Especially in using run-from-here, variables, sub-program calls, etc etc.

    Thermal compensation tends not to exist.
    Screw mapping tends not to exist.
    None above are documented with sample programs showing this should do that.

    When running a lathe spindle in reverse (M4) and threading inside-out the arcs, the offsets, and the pullouts probably do not work correctly.
    If you feedhold or stop (not estop) the machine and continue, it is common that one or more issues occur, leading to the mahchine crashing in usually spectacular ways, with a tool inside a workpiece, and full-rapids trying to rip it from the chuck (lathe).
    These issues may be present in metric-only mode, or imperial and metric.
    These issues may depend on the hw controller outputting the pulses.
    The E-Stop button is controlled through the I/O board IOPCB cable 550, P40-2 - VF Series Manual Electrical Wiring Diagrams Page 6 (96-8000).
    The main power contactor is controlled by the power switch, K1 (Servo Power On) and K7 (Auto Power Off) relays so probably through the processor, not directly by a contactor.
    The only Haas board left would be the I/O board. No point in replicating that as it is just relays and switches.
    The point is to make it work the same as the Haas. They do not have a patent on "look and feel". do they?
    The BeagleBone is not running the g-code, the FPGA is. The BB is merely providing the g-code to the FPGA board.
    I do not know how Haas implemented thermal compensation (I doubt mine has it) or screw mapping (all zeros on mine), but that is just adjusting the values given to the FPGA board. When a program is loaded the processor it would go through all the numbers and adjust them by the compensation values. Not difficult to implement.
    Tool offsets are the same.
    Mine crashes in spectacular ways already so what is the difference? Admittedly most are mine from forgetting to reset a tool but sometimes from Gibbs doing something stupid.
    This is a mill processor, not a "run every CNC made machine" processor.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •