What's new
What's new

Does anybody run a haas through a 3 phase inverter ?

binzie0

Plastic
Hi there, just wondering if Haas machines can run well on a 3 phase inverter, if they do which type of inverter is best to use ? I'm in the uk and interested in doing my own machining from home but only have 240v
I run a Bridgeport interact with an inverter but I would like something newer.

I run rotary phase converters. I believe the inverter technology is getting better and may be a candidate for the future. but for now the rotary phase seems to be the safe bet.

I run a 98 vf4 on mine. There are tips and best practices here as well. In a few posts below I recently learned to ensure my wild leg was lugged into the center spot. As 710 noted, the rpcs are far more popular. Inverter was out of my budget.
Part of doing this requires proper power capacity, wire gauge, and review of other current source loading in your space. A lot of info by other posters can be found. There is also an electrical forum if I recall.

Countryguy thanks for your reply , I will look up the other post's as well , how well does your vf4 run ? Can you run your machine with full rapid feed? On my Bridgeport interact series 1 I have to set the F9999 down to F2500 or it will trip out with a "gross moment " error. Do you get anything like this ? What type of converter do you run with and what size ?
Sorry about all the questions , just trying to get as much information as I can
Many thanks

Hi there. I was where you were just a few years back. Total fun! I did this all w/ my Son, who's in his final year of College for Product Design & Mfr... so he has great plans w/ 'my' garage which is now a garage band-shop for a keen 22 yr old. LOL. I'm planning on being EMp#2 on this nepotism train.:-p

humor aside: The 20HP RPC unit was from one of the top 2 vendors you see online. The motor is whisper quiet and is one of the reasons I went w/ them. (Baldor motor) I mounted the entire RPC on a rolling HD shop cart. I mounted a breaker box on each side and put the RPC unit inside on the lower cart shelf. 1 side has a 240 box, w/ several runs for 240 single phase stuff. And the other side has a 3 phase breaker box, with 2 or 3 runs for 3 phase stuff. The haas is plugged in here. There is a line conditioner and a 240/480 Xformer in there too now. I needed that for a 480 DoAll drill press I got for a song. The point here is that it's on wheels, rolls around as needed, has all breakers in 1 place, and ensures my currents are managed via a breaker for each.

We've cut a lot of Aluminum which he run the spindle in high K RPMs. . No issues. The rapids... he's conservative and we're still new so as a 98 VF4 goes, it's pretty slow anyway but overall, NO issues specifically. 1 exception I've seen 2 summers in a row. In summer, a few issues have popped up when AC and power fluctuates around the area or under large load startups. The haas has popped a few alarms. (power and undervoltage if I recall). These items have been discussed a lot in recent threads here. Things like: The DeltaWye and PArm bit changes a few down here, the use of heavy gauge power runs, powering down AC in the house ( a big 3.5 ton AC unit), Air Compressor and how much air and how powered, all play into setting up power during a running job. the past 2 summers I needed to move the Xformer inputs to the middle or lowest input range setting due to area loading. anywho... trial and error stuff I'm sure you'll work out. What I cannot comment on is how the digi-3 phase inverters work in these types of environments. The RPC's are just so we'll known and used. KIS Keep It Simple, and my pocket-book guide my way often. Hope this help!

Countryguy thanks for your reply , I will look up the other post's as well , how well does your vf4 run ? Can you run your machine with full rapid feed? On my Bridgeport interact series 1 I have to set the F9999 down to F2500 or it will trip out with a "gross moment " error. Do you get anything like this ? What type of converter do you run with and what size ?
Sorry about all the questions , just trying to get as much information as I can
Many thanks

Rotory HP vs Machine HP vs Wire Gage

Hey countryguy,

What is the spindle haaspower of your 98 VF4?
What gage wires do you run? Like from main breaker panel to RPC, to idler, from idler, to machine ?

TH

I run a new vf4ss all day at 12K and half rapids ( don`t save time running full rapid ) and push the spindle at 120% for "HOURS" on a big 20HP RPC .. I feed the RPC off a 60 amp breaker and run all 6-3 and 6-4 wire ...

Haas well write some crap about how they need 200 amps for the SS machines and I have been running them off 60 amps of "SINGLE" phase to the RPC for years and have not once throw a breaker ...

I run a new vf4ss all day at 12K and half rapids ( don`t save time running full rapid ) and push the spindle at 120% for "HOURS" on a big 20HP RPC .. I feed the RPC off a 60 amp breaker and run all 6-3 and 6-4 wire ...

Haas well write some crap about how they need 200 amps for the SS machines and I have been running them off 60 amps of "SINGLE" phase to the RPC for years and have not once throw a breaker ...

That is some awesome input! Thank you D.D.Machine!!!
Btw what year is your VF4SS?
And what is the stated HP of that machine?

-TH

Hi... 20HP spindle on the big red sticker.
#6 to from main to breaker hook up on wall. #6 from 200Amp house to box in garage.
Dedicated short 10ft #8 (might be 6.. I forgot) stranded from box to RPC. (inside steel flex-conduit) w/ 50amp plugs on wips (10-12 ft) from the breaker box. (since I roll the RPC around at times).

I'm an old EET that ran/worked on some BIG stuff back in the 80's/90s... and I've seen how things can melt and make smoke! So I'm pretty conscience of whats on and running when we're on the machine in my garage.

Hey countryguy,

What is the spindle haaspower of your 98 VF4?
What gage wires do you run? Like from main breaker panel to RPC, to idler, from idler, to machine ?

TH

That is some awesome input! Thank you D.D.Machine!!!
Btw what year is your VF4SS?
And what is the stated HP of that machine?

-TH

2014 vf4ss

Its Haas HP
I have ZERO idea how they rate it or what it is ,,, they say some BS like 30 HP on the sticker ,,, but its the same motor and drive they also call 20HP and the spindle motor its self is marked 7 1/2 hp ........

I run all 20HP RPC and have never got a low voltage alarm from a haas machine ...

Bottom line is Haas rates there HP just like my shop vac.

Back