What's new
What's new

Drip feeding 1995 VF-OE Quick Query

hend.engineering

Aluminum
Hi,

Successfully drip feeding programs to my VF but encounter a problem mid program where the control gives a "incorrect code" error.

Turns out this is actually the buffer that's full and the machine isn't crunching the code as fast as it's receiving and it happily runs the program if I break it down into individual operations and the same line it previously stopped on works fine - Problem solved!

As a solution to run a program continuously, Should I drip feed at a lower baud rate? Or am I missing a setting where the control could be pausing the program until there's space?

Using "NC link" program to drip the code, and all the standard settings 9600, Even, Xon Xoff, 7bits.

At the moment, unless I'm missing an obvious button push I can only start the program dripping from NC link and not from the control. Am i missing something?

Thanks in advance,
Tom.

To have a more reliable solution with dripfeeding, you could try Xmodem protocol which has more error checking. To use Xmodem you need decent DNC software like Cimco DNC Max (I used it to connect a 2004 Haas at a customerwith dripfeeding). This costs about 500-600 euro. You can also check if you get any Xon/Xoff codes or if you use rts/cts if it pulls RTS CTS pins high. You can use CooltermWin for this. In my case the machine did not send any signals over hardware and software flow control, so Xmodem was the only option.

Thanks! So via Xmodem, some communication occurs between machine and dnc software?

Is Rts/cts the same idea? I know nothing about this stuff!
I'll check out your suggestions to see if I get that signal and go from there...

To have a more reliable solution with dripfeeding, you could try Xmodem protocol which has more error checking. To use Xmodem you need decent DNC software like Cimco DNC Max (I used it to connect a 2004 Haas at a customerwith dripfeeding). This costs about 500-600 euro. You can also check if you get any Xon/Xoff codes or if you use rts/cts if it pulls RTS CTS pins high. You can use CooltermWin for this. In my case the machine did not send any signals over hardware and software flow control, so Xmodem was the only option.

You'll have to walk me through this as I have very little clue. Got that coolterm program installed...

As it stands, when I send or receive a program either the TX or RX lights light up for Transmitting or Receiving respectively.
Whether running a program or not RTS and CTS are permanently on, as are DTR, DSR and DCD.

I barely know what any if this means, but do tell, what does this imply as regards any ability for flow control of data?

Back