What's new
What's new

DT-1 does not retract all the way in Z before moving X and Y

HFO just said to have a bigger return plane or a pause to allow z to come up. Something seems wrong with that answer. Z should be clear before x and y move, even if it's only .010 above the part.

We had the same problem with ours. The rapids are so fast the machine seems to anticipate reaching the Z and starts moving in X-Y.

We used .100 clearance planes and occasionally would nick the part with the tool.
Changed to .250 and no more problems.
Or turn the rapids down?

Thanks - I guess that's how it is with these quick little machines then...
When we're engraving I hate to see the head constantly coming up that far (.1 for example) to move over to the next letter/pocket and come down to .010 to feed down.
Definitely going to experiment with lowering the rapids with these jobs like you said, it's not like it's going to get up to speed anyway.

Thanks - I guess that's how it is with these quick little machines then...
When we're engraving I hate to see the head constantly coming up that far (.1 for example) to move over to the next letter/pocket and come down to .010 to feed down.
Definitely going to experiment with lowering the rapids with these jobs like you said, it's not like it's going to get up to speed anyway.

Not sure what cam options you have, or if this is using a G47 engraving cycle. In my cam I can set a different retract and feed plane. So to 'fix' something like you describe you could have a retract of .25 or so, but a feed plane of .02", assuming you are engraving text or whatnot .003-.005" deep. You would still get alot of rapid moves, but should not affect the cycle time too much. You might also want to experiment with exact stop mode, but I think that will affect your cycle time.

G61 Exact Stop Mode (Group 15)

What year is your machine?

I had something similar happen on my DT1. It was one of the first years the machine was available and after a software update it got much better.

try adding G09 to the clearance and return move. G09 is a non-modal exact stop, so it only affects that block.

Not sure what cam options you have, or if this is using a G47 engraving cycle. In my cam I can set a different retract and feed plane. So to 'fix' something like you describe you could have a retract of .25 or so, but a feed plane of .02", assuming you are engraving text or whatnot .003-.005" deep. You would still get alot of rapid moves, but should not affect the cycle time too much. You might also want to experiment with exact stop mode, but I think that will affect your cycle time.

G61 Exact Stop Mode (Group 15)
I will experiment with the G09's and G61's thanks! I think I was looking for a parameter to make something like that active but after reading up on how they work, I wouldn't want it to be active all the time.

I can have different retract and feed-in planes in Mastercam but like I said, I hate to see the head going up and down so much while engraving (pocketing, not the g47). The answer could also be just me getting over it and let the machine do that.

What year is your machine?

I had something similar happen on my DT1. It was one of the first years the machine was available and after a software update it got much better.

2014, version M18.20A, is that around what you had?

It's common for Haas, For normal machines and SS you need to have at least .1" clearance plane, During rapid moves it accelerates the other axes and slightly rounds corners.

Back