DT-1 does not retract all the way in Z before moving X and Y
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    204
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Default DT-1 does not retract all the way in Z before moving X and Y

    Title says it all.

    Is there a parameter for this somewhere? It's most evident when I'm engraving and may only have a return plane of .020 or so.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    204
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Default

    HFO just said to have a bigger return plane or a pause to allow z to come up. Something seems wrong with that answer. Z should be clear before x and y move, even if it's only .010 above the part.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,064
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    638
    Likes (Received)
    1026

    Default

    We had the same problem with ours. The rapids are so fast the machine seems to anticipate reaching the Z and starts moving in X-Y.

    We used .100 clearance planes and occasionally would nick the part with the tool.
    Changed to .250 and no more problems.
    Or turn the rapids down?

  4. Likes Volitan liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    204
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Default

    Thanks - I guess that's how it is with these quick little machines then...
    When we're engraving I hate to see the head constantly coming up that far (.1 for example) to move over to the next letter/pocket and come down to .010 to feed down.
    Definitely going to experiment with lowering the rapids with these jobs like you said, it's not like it's going to get up to speed anyway.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Orange county, CA
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    try adding G09 to the clearance and return move. G09 is a non-modal exact stop, so it only affects that block.

  7. Likes Volitan liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,430
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1480
    Likes (Received)
    1621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volitan View Post
    Thanks - I guess that's how it is with these quick little machines then...
    When we're engraving I hate to see the head constantly coming up that far (.1 for example) to move over to the next letter/pocket and come down to .010 to feed down.
    Definitely going to experiment with lowering the rapids with these jobs like you said, it's not like it's going to get up to speed anyway.
    Not sure what cam options you have, or if this is using a G47 engraving cycle. In my cam I can set a different retract and feed plane. So to 'fix' something like you describe you could have a retract of .25 or so, but a feed plane of .02", assuming you are engraving text or whatnot .003-.005" deep. You would still get alot of rapid moves, but should not affect the cycle time too much. You might also want to experiment with exact stop mode, but I think that will affect your cycle time.

    G61 Exact Stop Mode (Group 15)

  9. Likes Volitan liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default

    What year is your machine?

    I had something similar happen on my DT1. It was one of the first years the machine was available and after a software update it got much better.

  11. Likes Volitan liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    204
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coyoinu View Post
    try adding G09 to the clearance and return move. G09 is a non-modal exact stop, so it only affects that block.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Not sure what cam options you have, or if this is using a G47 engraving cycle. In my cam I can set a different retract and feed plane. So to 'fix' something like you describe you could have a retract of .25 or so, but a feed plane of .02", assuming you are engraving text or whatnot .003-.005" deep. You would still get alot of rapid moves, but should not affect the cycle time too much. You might also want to experiment with exact stop mode, but I think that will affect your cycle time.

    G61 Exact Stop Mode (Group 15)
    I will experiment with the G09's and G61's thanks! I think I was looking for a parameter to make something like that active but after reading up on how they work, I wouldn't want it to be active all the time.

    I can have different retract and feed-in planes in Mastercam but like I said, I hate to see the head going up and down so much while engraving (pocketing, not the g47). The answer could also be just me getting over it and let the machine do that.



    Quote Originally Posted by metal-ica View Post
    What year is your machine?

    I had something similar happen on my DT1. It was one of the first years the machine was available and after a software update it got much better.
    2014, version M18.20A, is that around what you had?

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    56
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default

    mine is a 2011

  14. #10
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1103
    Likes (Received)
    573

    Default

    Do you have the high feed machining option?

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    75
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    14
    Likes (Received)
    26

    Default

    It's common for Haas, For normal machines and SS you need to have at least .1" clearance plane, During rapid moves it accelerates the other axes and slightly rounds corners.

  16. Likes Volitan liked this post
  17. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    Posts
    584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    204
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    Do you have the high feed machining option?
    We have HSM on this machine, yes.

  18. #13
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1103
    Likes (Received)
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volitan View Post
    We have HSM on this machine, yes.
    Then you could turn your G0's into G1's at max feed rate and use the high feed code to control corner rounding. Could be done with a post processor edit.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •