What's new
What's new

DWO Out of Range Error

rcoope

Stainless
We are working to get a forth axis mode working on our new style TRT-160 (on a VM-3), where we rotate the B-axis to 90 so the C-axis rotates around the X-direction, and then it's like a regular rotary and we can run a tail stock etc. We've been working with the MasterCAM VAR to get the combination of machine definition and Post to make this work but didn't quite get there today. They generated this code:

(T8 - 1.732283 BULL-NOSED ENDMILL - H8 - D8 - DIA 1.7323" - CORNER RAD .0787")
G00 G90 G17 G20 G40 G80
G91 G28 Z0.
(T8 - 1.732283 BULL-NOSED ENDMILL - H8 - D8 - DIA 1.7323" - CORNER RAD .0787")
T8 M06
G00 G17 G90 G54
S6000 M03
C0.
G254
C0.
M08
X6.8303 Y-2.423
G43 H8 Z3.

But when we run it on our VM-3 it throws an "X out of range" error. Does anyone have any idea what's wrong here? MasterCAM has a youtube video with a DWO example doing a pocket on the side of a part, and I screen-shotted the g-code which looks like this: MasterCAM DWO Example.jpg
I note there are some slight differences such as the MCam version has a G94, but my g-code parsing is not good enough to understand the differences. We'll see what the VAR says but we're not sure if this is an MCAM or a Haas issue so wanted to enquire here.

No experience with DWO, so just thinking out loud here.

I imagine to use DWO the machine need to know COR for B and C. Is this set correctly for where your trunnion is currently at on the table?

Is your trunnion set to the extreme right on the table? That X6.8303 may be sending it into overtravel.

So maybe not Mcam or Haas problem.

What Booze said.. make sure the machine has the same configuration as you physically have it setup. It is definitely not typical.

and what is the code you are actually running on the machine? From your first post, or from the picture? Because the picture has G254 with XY on the same line. You need to call rotary moves first, G254, then XY. Should be 3 lines of code:

G0 G90 G54 B90. C-90.
G254
X-.928 Y-2.9391

Thanks, we'll fool around with the order of operations. The configuration is correct insofar as the five axis Machine Def and Post work perfectly, so we're pretty sure the requested move is within the table's range. More soon...

Back