What's new
What's new

Engraving problem on VF4SS

klemchuk

Aluminum
Hi all
I've been running a program on both TM2P and VF4SS for about 4 years without any problems until yesterday, when the engraving
suddenly got really faint and on the next batch of parts the tool didn't even make a mark. I have re-probed the tool, and the workpiece. Neither helps. I don't want to mess with the program because it's worked well for so long. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

First I'd check that I didn't have a tool length wear offset stuck in it.

Then I would if you have that program backed up somewhere I'd compare the two for a slight change that may have gone unnoticed. Like your R plane or Z depth.

Maybe try recalibrating they probe. All your tools might start being way off.

Or get out an indicator and check the work holding to see that it's still flat.

My guess is offset or slight programming change.May have been accidentally saved to the controller, flash etc.

I don't know what kind of tolerances you're working with. It could just be a matter of stacked bad tool offsets. Or a change above the engraving in the code. If you have giant tolerances with a shallow engraving could be that. Let's say you take an extra 10 or 20 thou in a not critical area and try to hit a 20 thou engraving you'd just tickle it.

Could be alot of these things combined.

Best regards, And let me know how it plays out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Are you probing the surface to be engraved or some other feature? The workpiece surface may not be where your probe thinks it is, for example if the surfacing tool is an endmill that crept down in its holder. Are you surfacing the to-be-engraved surface in the same setup as you are engraving? If you are surfacing in the same setup, then the part probing hardly matters, and something instead has gone wrong between the relative lengths of the surfacing tool and engraving tool. Either the surfacing tool has gone long or the engraving tool has gone short.

if it were me , I'd swap the tool with the vf2 and see if the problem moves with the tool. engraving tools don't need much to rub a flute or tip and throw things off.

if it were me , I'd swap the tool with the vf2 and see if the problem moves with the tool. engraving tools don't need much to rub a flute or tip and throw things off.

Ya, especially if you are doing little letters and DOC. Just 'snub' the tip a bit and POOF no more engraving. Also, if the engraving is small you may want to reset your G187 value to like G187P3E.001, or the lines won't be as clear...

What is the depth you are engraving? At Z zero, or a positive/negative value? What does your code look like? G47 Pblah blah Z-.003 (-.010...?)? Is the Z value correct?

Check the program for any changes, and if there aren't any add a couple thou at a time to the engraving tool offset until you get what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back