What's new
What's new

Ever seen? B Axis Z Ch Missing or X-axis Z Broken wires or encoder contamination

countryguy

Hot Rolled
Hi folks; A spurious error today on B of the TRT210.
Error 192;B Axis Z Ch Missing when doing some manual work at full speed.
-Note1: The kid spins the remote wheel super fast on max speed as he's setting up stuff. just 'slinging' that wheel.
-Note2: The Son also recently moved the Max Speed parm for B platter from 16K to like a 25K value. (he has photos).

First time we've ever seen this one. Anyone seen this and done anything preventative or to repair/stifle

The 1999 Haas VMC service manual also lists this as Error 153. (same as) and to check P1-P4 connectors.
But for a 4th and 5th... I think this would be MOCON P30 for B. Confirming they are suggestion the Mocon Enc. plugs?

Pg 263 VMC Haas manual, MOCON:
P7 670 Y ENCODER INPUT Y ENCODER
P8 680 Z ENCODER INPUT Z ENCODER
P9 690 A ENCODER INPUT A ENCODER
P30 690B B ENCODER INPUT B ENCODER

• Beides P30, WE'll reseat everything along the chain of cables. pulled side, pulled encoder cap.. replugged the mini-sip connector(s) so far. on and on we go... ;-)

Error txt per manual:

153 X-axis Z Broken wires or encoder contamination. All servos are turned off. This can also be caused by loose connectors at P1-P4.
154 Y-axis Z Same as alarm 153.
191 B Limit Switch Same as alarm 145.
192 B Axis Z Ch Missing Same as alarm 153.

yes I have. the Z channel is the home channel. when a limit switch ( newer machines and 4th axis a proximity switch) 3 possibilities come to mind. 1 a chip on the proximity switch, 2 a broken wire in the cabling. 3 out of curiosity slow your rapid to 25% or less and see If it still does it? have seen them not alarm under lower rapid speeds when there may be a mocon issue.

K. thanks! Not sure I'm following on Z channel -vs- Home switch. The assy breakdown does list a home switch and the wires which I can check. Are you noting that when the home switch is engaged, it's expected to get 0 pulses on Z? and it's faulting over a dual condition of both a home and Z pulse registered?
Speed slowed down back to the original via OS 9.64N Device Setting for TRT210 A & B parms. It's working for now. On the faster setting... it is a regular error it seems.

Pic of DIAGS. below. I'm wondering about the settings where the HOME switch for A and B is always showing a "1" same w/ A Xis and B axis Z Channel always at a "1" on DIAGS. More settings stuff to read it seems. Wonder why they do not go from 1 to 0 on any spin?
IMG-3663.jpg

I have a spare MoCon board. We did rebuild the TRT unit. I's only happened 1 time ever. we'll move forward. I can check the limit home switch via the harness someplace I'll wager.

Kid say's he saw old posts on over speed can cause this as well? Its only happened since he upped his speed.
GC

Last edited:
Adding a bit more color... From the 2001 and 2006 VF manuals txt below. (recall other posts about how diff. years have varied info sets worthy of review).
I think it's either Mocon or Encoder or Parameter based. Kid just wants to make his part... (final project for college) and I get it. it's back to the orig. and running but... ya always wonder.. will my job go 'red-light' :-(

From 2001:
192 B Axis Z Ch Missing Z reference signal from encoder was not received as expected. Likely encoder contamination or parameter error.
From 2006:
192 B AXIS Z CH MISSING - Z reference signal from encoder was not received as expected. Can be caused
by loose connections, encoder contamination, or parameter error.

These encoders have A, B and Z channel outputs. The Z channel is a once around output. A and B are the quadrature outputs. Some 4th and 5th rotaries do not have a home switch (usually a magnetic proximity switch) such as a 5C rotary (at least the 14 pin ones). A and B(? no B on mine) axis parameters there is a Z channel only which means no home switch.
When you zero the axes the A and B without a home switch use the Z channel for home. The machine keeps track of the number of revolutions to go back to the original Z home.
The 14 pin A and B chassis connectors have no home wiring. The 17 pin does.
If you do not have a home switch it will not show up ion the diagnostic page.
Not a good idea to arbitrarily increase the speed. The signals have limits due to cable capacitance, inductance, resistance, how good the connections are plus whatever filters are in the circuit boards.
You can also have position errors if you are cutting whilst rotating. The machine will slow the XYZ axes if the A or B cannot keep up. If you tell the machine the rotary can go a lot faster than it is capable, it is happy to let the XYZ axes move with the faster rate.

Trying to reply from a tablet. Ouch. Thank you. Great info and exactly what I needed to understand!
All back to orig now. More to learn always.

Back