What's new
What's new

Extended Z low profile table?

Shawn_Laughlin

Aluminum
Does anyone here have this option? I wonder if since the table is 3” thinner than the stock stable how much that would effect rigidity?

This is a sub question that plays into the extended z and why I’m asking the question above. The castings I will be working with,the largest one is 13” tall and has a surface that needs to be machined about 5” deep but that’s actually giving a little room for error. So that’s 18” needed in a perfect world but I know that the tool arm drops down to switch tooling and I’m sure there are other factors like the holder flange.

I’m ordering either a VF3ssyt, vf4ss or vf5ss but by the Haas calculator says I need a vf6 and that’s out of the question. So if I had the ext z/low pro table it should have enough clearance to do it? Hell it might do it without but I’m not familiar enough to make that decision. This is my last question I have that will help me choosing options and machine size.

Ofbyoy can live with a umbrella tool changer . it gives you a extra +4 inches in Z that isn't advertised to machine in due to tool changer style.

I had thought about that but figured that if when the z axis is max + and the tool clear the part I can always program the move table x + to clear when the tool drops. I just can’t find any info on how much the holder drops when release from spindle and tool change is done. It should be simple math if I had that measurement.

Another question I have is,besides the probe bc that’s 100 percent a no brainer option what other options can’t you live with? I would love to get the chip conveyor but thats a lot of money for a belt conveyor but I’m sure much better than auger?

my vf3 will go from table to spindle face right at or a tic tick below 28 inches with the Z all the way up. I believe its around 24.25 inches of Z travel. it's a umbrella style tool changer.15825.jpg

Another question I have is,besides the probe bc that’s 100 percent a no brainer option what other options can’t you live with? I would love to get the chip conveyor but thats a lot of money for a belt conveyor but I’m sure much better than auger?

I have had both on mills and hands down the auger works better,,, both conveyers and augers have some chips that get past them ,, but the Haas augers let the chips get caught in the return screen and yes you have to clean it out ,, but even after months of running alum parts there is not even a coffee can of chips in the tank ,,, the conveyers get the chips washed off in the tank unless you use a micro-fine type and there like 10K and still don`t do a great job ,,, the Haas auger for like $2,600 does a good job ,, if you run a LOT of chips do the multi auger setup ... I have multi auger on 2 vf2ss and well I have to clean the return screen every few hours they work great at keeping the chips out of the tank and I never have to wash the chips down during a job ...

Even if augers and conveyers were the same price I would order the auger ...

I run some big 4th axis parts on the vf4ss and with long tools and large parts you might have to run your table out of the way to change tools , so the tool does not swing over the top of the part well doing a tool change ,,, but with 20" of y and 50" of X it has need been a big deal ,,, just rapid out of the way , change tool and rapid back over the part.

Thank you guys. That’s great to know about the auger/s vs the conveyor and I guess it’s just one of those time when the cheaper option the better one. I will take your word for it and i think ima give it a try. Honestly, I don’t really have a choice when trying to decide bc I’m trying keep price down as much as I can without sacrificing to much so that’s great to know.

D.D.Machine, i was thinking it could be done that way. Just clear the tool, move the table and do a tool change.Thanks for confirming bc I would’ve been a nervous wreck until I seen that it actually can be done or procrastinated for 6 months on buying bigger. I guess haas is just trying to be safe then sorry or trying to sell me a larger machine,i don’t blame them either way lol. Isn’t I common practice to move the workpiece away from center when doing a took change unless that workpiece is small?

Haas actually has a decent video explaining how to change the behavior of an M6 toolchange. We do this at work to avoid crashing into tall parts/long tools. Don't even need macros!

The keyword here is an M or G code 'alias'.

YouTube

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Back