What's new
What's new

G187: what is it?

thunderskunk

Cast Iron
Hey guys,

Can someone give a brief explanation of what G187 does?

I'm used to programming stuff by hand with fanuc controls, and this popped out when I generated a code using CAM for a Haas. My cheat sheet says it's to set the "smoothness" level... but I'm performing a drilling operation, so that shouldn't make a difference, right?

It defaulted to E.001, is this like a resolution of sorts? I have positions to .0001 that I'd like to hold...

Thanks in advance. I'm having a hard time finding good explanations of all things mastercam and haas, it's a bit unnerving.

It is a code used when high speed machining it lets the machine run looser it doesn’t have to hold as tight of tolerance the last number is the rounding size. When I used it I had to run .03 stock to leave or the finish passes would not clean up the parts. But the machine sure was a lot faster roughing out parts
5498351826675b92152d8ea5db7008b9.png
it took 12 minutes to rough that wheel on a vf5ss at 420 inches per minute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is a code used when high speed machining it lets the machine run looser it doesn’t have to hold as tight of tolerance the last number is the rounding size. When I used it I had to run .03 stock to leave or the finish passes would not clean up the parts. But the machine sure was a lot faster roughing out parts

it took 12 minutes to rough that wheel on a vf5ss at 420 inches per minute

Perfect, that help a lot. Thanks.

I'll probably just find a way to keep it from generating G187 in the first place. Doesn't sound like I need it.

Back