getting an angle when putting in an offset
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    18
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default getting an angle when putting in an offset

    Simple little question has anyone ever tried to take a shortcut by just using offsets when you don't have the tool a program calls for and it is a rush? Well one of my best guys did this on our HAAS VF 2 circa 1999. He needed a rounding tool to create a 1/4" radius. The program called for a rounding cutter with a 3/8" tip but all we had that was sharp was one with a 1/2" tip so he put in an offset to compensate for the difference in size. Much to his surprise when he ran the program he noticed that what was supposed to be a straight line cut was actually cutting a taper on the Y axis. It would start off cutting to much then slowly taper out to where it should be then it would cut fine until it got to the other end and again it would taper inward toward the part about .04". Is there a limit to how large of an offset you can add to a cutter in a HAAS? if so what is it? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Temecula, Ca
    Posts
    2,732
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1242
    Likes (Received)
    3554

    Default

    this is why it's important to understand how to correctly turn your comp on and off correctly. Post your code and I'll show you where it's wrong

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    18
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Okay I will attach a copy of the program
    Attached Files Attached Files

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,418
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1473
    Likes (Received)
    1616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skoobiz View Post
    Okay I will attach a copy of the program
    Better to post a snip here as most won't download a file.

    I'm with Larry, 99% sure it is not the amount of comp, it is where you are turning it on/off.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,418
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1473
    Likes (Received)
    1616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    this is why it's important to understand how to correctly turn your comp on and off correctly. Post your code and I'll show you where it's wrong
    I was surprised at current job that no one seemed to understand this!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Temecula, Ca
    Posts
    2,732
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1242
    Likes (Received)
    3554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skoobiz View Post
    Okay I will attach a copy of the program
    in this section, you're starting at X10.65, you turn on your tool comp on the X7.6247 line. So the control is going to start at X10.65 Y-8.3325 with no comp. Now, on line 525 it's going to start comping and move to X7.6247 Y-8.3950. That's where your taper is. You just need to add a turn on line, Say on line 522 change to X10.75, then between line 524/525 add G1 G41 D4 X10.65 Y-8.3225. Make sure you do the same thing when you G40


    N522 X10.65 Y-8.3225
    N523 Z0.4325
    N524 G1 Z0.02 F2.9
    N525 G41 D04 X7.6247 F9.8

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    103
    Likes (Received)
    361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I was surprised at current job that no one seemed to understand this!
    That's funny. Sometimes my laser guys do this after making hand-edits. Tool comp is usually about .006" so they get really small tapers

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    18
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Dickman View Post
    in this section, you're starting at X10.65, you turn on your tool comp on the X7.6247 line. So the control is going to start at X10.65 Y-8.3325 with no comp. Now, on line 525 it's going to start comping and move to X7.6247 Y-8.3950. That's where your taper is. You just need to add a turn on line, Say on line 522 change to X10.75, then between line 524/525 add G1 G41 D4 X10.65 Y-8.3225. Make sure you do the same thing when you G40


    N522 X10.65 Y-8.3225
    N523 Z0.4325
    N524 G1 Z0.02 F2.9
    N525 G41 D04 X7.6247 F9.8
    Thanks Larry, I'll try that, it makes perfect sense. Actually I'm not sure why my CAM is posting it that way. I'll have to look a little deeper for that.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •