What's new
What's new

Greasy residue on newer HAAS way covers

RCS Machine

Aluminum
I have a March 2020 HAAS DM1 mill that from day one has always gotten a very light, greasy residue on the Y way covers. It comes on the movable covers that have the wipers and also the stationary cover that bolts to the table. I don't notice it on the X covers.

I also have a 2016 VF3 and this machine has never had this issue. Both machines cut the same materials and run the same coolant (QualiChen Extreme Cut 250C). The only thing I can think is that it's the HAAS grease or the silicone caulk the Tech used to re-seal my housing since it leaked like crazy. The 2016 uses the purple grease where the 2020 uses the tan colored stuff. No caulking needed in the VF3

Anyone with a newer machine running the tan grease have this issue? I hear that HAAS is no longer selling the purple grease and it is replaced by the tan. Wondering if the VF3 will start gathering this residue once my purple supply is gone.

Thanks.

I have a March 2020 HAAS DM1 mill that from day one has always gotten a very light, greasy residue on the Y way covers. It comes on the movable covers that have the wipers and also the stationary cover that bolts to the table. I don't notice it on the X covers.

I also have a 2016 VF3 and this machine has never had this issue. Both machines cut the same materials and run the same coolant (QualiChen Extreme Cut 250C). The only thing I can think is that it's the HAAS grease or the silicone caulk the Tech used to re-seal my housing since it leaked like crazy. The 2016 uses the purple grease where the 2020 uses the tan colored stuff. No caulking needed in the VF3

Anyone with a newer machine running the tan grease have this issue? I hear that HAAS is no longer selling the purple grease and it is replaced by the tan. Wondering if the VF3 will start gathering this residue once my purple supply is gone.

Thanks.

Has your way covers started to turn black?

Is the grease is black, they grease under the lip of the seal and it gets pushed out. At least that is what the HFO told me.

My covers haven't really turned black but they are discolored. When I wipe the joint where the wipers are the grime is black as can be. Must be it. Thanks.

I was going to mention the new grease as a possible source? Tech told me they switched because they found the purple grease can degrade over time and clog the lines.

My covers haven't really turned black but they are discolored. When I wipe the joint where the wipers are the grime is black as can be. Must be it. Thanks.

Here thread on the way covers.

Qualichem 251c staining way covers?

Way covers turning black, only cutting 6061

I was going to mention the new grease as a possible source? Tech told me they switched because they found the purple grease can degrade over time and clog the lines.

I just switch to tan not to long ago. A tech I happen to run in to on instagram told me the same thing. Haas had a bad batch for a year or so. Some people had problems while others didn't.

Good to know about the way grease. I've got one purple jug left for the VF3 and need to get some of the tan for the DM1 soon.

As for the 2 threads you mentioned Djstorm, I think it is more to do with the grease you mentioned first since both machines are used identically and only the 2020 machine has the greasy residue issue.

Good to know about the way grease. I've got one purple jug left for the VF3 and need to get some of the tan for the DM1 soon.

As for the 2 threads you mentioned Djstorm, I think it is more to do with the grease you mentioned first since both machines are used identically and only the 2020 machine has the greasy residue issue.

The way covers being discolors (black in color) that doesn't come off is from the zinc on the covers

Back