What's new
What's new

Haas 1998 VF0-VF2 way cover removal and maintenance

Tryhard

Aluminum

Will be re-assembling the Haas that you guys have been helping with really soon.
I'm sure there will be other learning opportunities in the short term, but flavor of the day is now X Y and Z axis way covers. Have yet to remove the X & Y from the machine. The Z way covers looked like they had something heavy like a 4th axis swing into them from a hoist or something, were dented all to hell. Removed them to see if I could straighten them but they were just too beat up and edges worn thin like a knife blade. The Y axis rear cover looked like it was plunged into by the Z axis covers.

Ordered the Z and Y (rear) way covers. Z are still in a box. But the box of new style Z axis covers feel about 100 pounds lighter than the old ones. Pictures kinda look like Venetian blinds. Not sure what to expect when I open it. Is this a direct bolt-in replacement? Do I need to keep any of the old parts to use with the new one? Can't find a video or .PDF of the procedure. Link on their website does nothing.

Regarding way covers and related, what years are interchangeable with a 98 VF-OE ?

Anyway, while I'm still in the purchasing phase of this mess, I have gotten the rubber wiper material but only heard tell of a maintenance "kit" for the way covers and can't seem to find any info on the kit for my machine 98 VF-OE on Haas's wonderful, all-inclusive and easy to use website. Not sure if the kit is X only or XY&Z or even if it is a requirement?

Any pointers as what I might find under the axis covers, what problems to look out for or what would be a good idea to do while I have the covers off?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20191014_200209516.jpg

IMG_20191014_192232_01.jpg

Z axis Cover 2.jpg

Zaxis Cover.jpg

From what I can remember on my '97 VF-2, getting the rubber strips to fit correctly in the slots is a pain. Take your time to make sure you get them fully inserted, we had to remove the covers and redo the inserts because they rubbed too much initially.

At worst, make a tool from Delrin to help push the tabs in. Something like a split fork to go over the wiper section and allow a good push. Smooth all edges to avoid damaging the rubber.

Boy, I remember finding a haas DIY doc for the older style units. I probably have it when I return from FL tomorrow. Found a few years back and then the haas site changed around a bit. You can try searching way covers on the parts site. Use some different item numbers possibly. under a docs tab(if still exists). You can sometimes find istuctions in pdf form. The but... Many times I now cannot find things I had before. You can try there too. Will check on Monday for ya also on my pc.

you must disassemble the covers to the single units. remove the old rubber seals ( you will most likely will have to bend the tabs up away from the old seals) cut new seals and install and will have to bend the tabs down to hold them in place. now when reassembling the segments. you have to cock them to get the upright stop , under the next cover. once you get how it's done it's not to bad. but for a first time. it can be very frustrating. take your time and make sure you clean out all debris before reassembling them. I have done probably 100+ sets in my life.

Haas VF axis rubber wiper kit.

you must disassemble the covers to the single units. remove the old rubber seals ( you will most likely will have to bend the tabs up away from the old seals) cut new seals and install and will have to bend the tabs down to hold them in place. now when reassembling the segments. you have to cock them to get the upright stop , under the next cover. once you get how it's done it's not to bad. but for a first time. it can be very frustrating. take your time and make sure you clean out all debris before reassembling them. I have done probably 100+ sets in my life.

Hoss710, 100+ sets? You are haas service guy? Holy cow, I take back (almost) all of the bad things I know about service techs.
Is there a kit of some sort that I need besides the rubber wiper material? Do you know anything about the new style Z axis covers? Should I keep any of the old parts at all? Like the wide spacer bars.

Boy, I remember finding a haas DIY doc for the older style units. I probably have it when I return from FL tomorrow. Found a few years back and then the haas site changed around a bit. You can try searching way covers on the parts site. Use some different item numbers possibly. under a docs tab(if still exists). You can sometimes find instructions in pdf form. The but... Many times I now cannot find things I had before. You can try there too. Will check on Monday for ya also on my pc.

Countryguy, Thanks!! Anything you can dig up will help a great deal! Have seen the 'docs' links on parts for my machine, but they are dead and only take me to the front page. No actual .PDFs

yes I was a haas tech for 10 years and went out on my own for another 10. Beretta was 1 of my customers . they had about 80 haas's in there besides other machines. I worked at Beretta from 84 to 95 as a machine repairman. I own 3 haas's myself. when I worked for haas my territory covered over 1400 machines. I rebuilt my vf1 from the ground up as it was cannibalized when I got it. it's a 93 bubble machine. normally the rubber seal kit will do what you need. there is a brass wear strip in the back of the y axis that needs replacing from time to time. honestly I wouldn't use the new style Z axis cover. the original 1 is so much a better unit , and does a better job of keeping chips away from both the ballscrew and linear ways. I'd straighten out what you have and reuse it.

Boy, I remember finding a haas DIY doc for the older style units. I probably have it when I return from FL tomorrow. Found a few years back and then the haas site changed around a bit. You can try searching way covers on the parts site. Use some different item numbers possibly. under a docs tab(if still exists). You can sometimes find istuctions in pdf form. The but... Many times I now cannot find things I had before. You can try there too. Will check on Monday for ya also on my pc.

Anything on this, countryguy ?

Sorry about this. Vaca mode and catch up. I looked and looked. I know I saw a few things on this too. OK, now- some tips on the Haas DIY/ and service manuals. I found that the manual from 94 - 98 are all very different in content. Often if my 98 manual does not have the info I need.... I grap the 96, or some other year. The short of this is that to have a LOT of good info on your elder-care Haas, pull all the service manuals you find that relate to your models era. (my opinion) Maybe I saw this section in one of those? ? Now, I'm searching google and looking on another pc as I type.

Back