What's new
What's new

HAAS 300PSI TSC pressure switch

npolanosky

Cast Iron
I'm a bit fed up with HAAS's price gouging on replacement parts. On stuff they make, sure whatever. On off the shelf parts like sensors and things...notsomuch.

I have a bad pressure switch, HAAS price $145.
SWITCH, PRESSURE 4 PSI | Switches & Sensors | TSC-300 | Coolant Systems | Find Replacement Parts | Haas Parts | Genuine OEM Haas Automation(R) Parts Factory-Direct

I haven't pulled back the head covers yet to confirm the number, but I have deduced from this picture that is is a Barksdale CSP series switch. They are $36. Datasheet here: http://store.flw.com/content/101483...-32-13B-Compact-Pressure-Switch-datasheet.pdf

When I get a moment to pull the head cover, I'll find the exact part number and order it. Just did the same thing with my chip auger, saved about $120 on the capacitor for that one and found an equivalent part on digikey.

And did the same for my milltronics spindle orient switch. MFG wanted a lot, third party seller sent me the wrong one and charged $90 for it...Got one for $30, also from digikey.

I'm totally OK with a 10 or 20% markup, but several hundred % is downright ridiculous. I'll publish the part number when I find it. I can almost make it out in the picture, but it's not the 02915- I think that's a serial and it's that other number that has a bit of glare. It's not a crisp enough image to figure out what it says. 24242B? 2-12-12b?

2: 5-30PSI adjustable, 1-2.5psi deadband, 350psi max proof pressure
-1: Normally open
2: 10 @125VAC, 6A @ 250VAC
-1: 1/4" NPT (Maybe? the HAAS pic looks smaller)
2: DIN #43650A connection (This is the only one that doesn't make sense, I would think it is the Free Leads option with HAAS adding a connector or the 3 option, 1/4" spades. I suppose they might order the DIN with the 10" leads and just snip it off? Who knows.)
B: Buna N

Anyway, not wanting to waste money due to the blurrycam and some guesswork, I'll take a look for myself in the next few days and report back.

10 or 20% markup does not pay any company to buy those parts and put them on the shelf and in their trucks and service centers.

When you make parts, just charge 10% over your actual costs of material labor and overhead, how long would you stay in business?

I can't argue with that, but it is not my job to sit here and throw hundreds of dollars away for off-the-shelf parts either. Spending 15 minutes to find a cheaper source of an identical part is worthwhile to me, even at a respectable shop rate (my machines are all running anyway, so I can afford a 5 min distraction between part changes).
It's not the $500 way covers I just bought (priced fairly IMO), the $4000 spindle cartridge, the $800 coolant union, or any of that which bugs me. It's the little stuff, the jelly bean parts, the ones with no black magic that can be sourced from one of many automation suppliers.

My local HFO is kind of a pain to deal with as well, so if I can get the same thing and not deal with them then hey, I'm going to do that.

This all being said, none of my machines are currently under warranty; If they were, then it's certainly worthwhile to get "the real thing" to preserve that.

10 or 20% markup does not pay any company to buy those parts and put them on the shelf and in their trucks and service centers.

When you make parts, just charge 10% over your actual costs of material labor and overhead, how long would you stay in business?

FWIW I had a tech out last week and he did not have these parts on his truck or at the HFO and would have to order them in anyway.
Stocking parts which another company has already made does not cost that much, or else I would not be able to buy the exact same part from somewhere else without paying the same markup. They're still buying those in bulk from the MFG for less than retail, putting an appropriate upcharge on them, and leaving them on a shelf (along with thousands of other parts) for months or years until someone comes along and purchases one.

In any case, I'm not here for a deep dive into economics or speculating on the exact reason for the inflated cost. To the person who needs it now and it needs to be perfect and it needs to be warranteed, it makes sense to buy from HAAS. If I get it wrong, I shrug, return it, and keep on doing my thing since I'm anticipating a future need rather than solving an urgent problem.

Back