What's new
What's new

Haas 4th axis Dynamic work offsets

tcncj

Cast Iron
Hello,

We got a Haas mill and want to add a 4th axis because setup times for some of our parts take long. And with a 4th axis we save huge amounts of time.
Haas got an option for the dynamic work offset point control? But is it useful for us? It centers the center of rotation in the cam to the center of rotation of the machine.

We never program on the machine. All programs are made in the CAM. And most 4th axis work will be first op stuff.
For fixturing I would use a self centering vise or a thombstone setup so my center is always fixed.

Hello,

We got a Haas mill and want to add a 4th axis because setup times for some of our parts take long. And with a 4th axis we save huge amounts of time.
Haas got an option for the dynamic work offset point control? But is it useful for us? It centers the center of rotation in the cam to the center of rotation of the machine.

We never program on the machine. All programs are made in the CAM. And most 4th axis work will be first op stuff.
For fixturing I would use a self centering vise or a thombstone setup so my center is always fixed.

You can use the DWO and TCPC options for 200 hours as a trial. (Don't forget to turn off when you aren't using it, since the time still ticks)

If you are doing only positioning on the 4th and no simultaneous cutting, you can use a macro to use DWO. See here: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/haas/dwo-macro-4th-axis-347509/

I find it helpful on second operations. So much easier to not have to worry your second op fixture or vise jaws are in the exact same place as used previously (or as you modeled it). If it's off a smidge, the machine takes care of that (as long as you setup your offset correctly)

We are in your situation right now with a 4th axis and looking to get dwo set up on it. How did it go for you guys? Any tips and tricks worth mentioning while we check this out?

Back