What's new
What's new

Haas 93' VF1 won't feed for tapping, just spins

BentRiverTech

Plastic
Hi,

Has anyone ever experienced an older Haas not feeding on a rigid tapping cycle? The spindle just sits there in location and spins. The spindle doesn't even retract. It goes into position, spins at RPM, but doesn't feed down or up once it engages the tapping cycle. The machine then gets stuck thinking it can't do anything else but stay there because it thinks it's in the middle of a tapping cycle.

I'm lost on this one. A week prior my guy bottomed out a tap while tapping and the tap broke in the hole. Ever since then, the tapping cycle refuses to work correctly. We used a compression-style tapping head too. Small tap.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Check the encoder belt, it should be right on top of the spindle motor, I can't remember on a 93 if there is a fan on top you can remove to get to the belt, a tiny timing belt about 3/8 wide and 3" dia, you may have to pull the headstock cover.

Check the encoder belt, it should be right on top of the spindle motor, I can't remember on a 93 if there is a fan on top you can remove to get to the belt, a tiny timing belt about 3/8 wide and 3" dia, you may have to pull the headstock cover.

Yup, I'd look for the Encoder belt or the little timing pulley. On mine you pull the headstock cover and it sits on the back of the gearbox, its down low and centered...kinda jammed in between the motor and that bracket with flex tube that brings the electrical, air and coolant to the head.

It was that last sentence that gave the ah ha! Bet you the belt broke causing the tap to break and it was not the tap breaking that caused the belt to break. On mine I had a pulley so loose it would slip at times.
No signal from the encoder to start the thread "now"... it never does.

Congratulations on having a Haas running for 28 years!

He is not alone. My Berta. 1993 VF-0 will be 28 in May.

March of this year my 1991 VF-1 turned 30 years old.

I'm here on a Saturday morning setting up some new Haas machines, getting ready for Monday while that "1991 Haas VF-1" is running, plugging away at a job. It runs daily making good parts.

SIM... Pictures man... Pictures. :-)
Love to see it ;lol.

March of this year my 1991 VF-1 turned 30 years old.

I'm here on a Saturday morning setting up some new Haas machines, getting ready for Monday while that "1991 Haas VF-1" is running, plugging away at a job. It runs daily making good parts.

Back