What's new
What's new

Haas barfeeder problems, Wrong initial push.

jm0502

Plastic
A 2020 Haas ST15Y with sub spindle and a 2020 bar feeder, Two times now in the last month in the middle of a run the bar feeder has pushed a new bar way too far. the one today pushed about 1.25 farther than it was suppose to, which resulted in a crash. all the bars are cut at 48" long (+0 -.1)

Is this a know issue? any ideas?

Of course the Haas camera decides not to work when something like this happens.

1itZEKo.jpg

Hit hard enough to sheer 3/4 stock
oYIcJjA.jpg

nxDUIiv.jpg

Fdhl7Jwm.jpg

odd question, does this program use G112 anywhere?

Also, what's with the little stub in the pictures? it kinda looks like the end of a bar rather than the start of a new one.

I have an older feeder...I have had the proximity switch used to measure the bar's length hang up. I have had guys go check a part and pull manually before Feeder pushed bar. Overall not real issues

With Bat Pullers a slightly different story. In an effort to avoid crashes I have first tool feed in hard where no material should be present and set the Tool load just over what the normal cuts take. If material IS There the tool load alarm stops machine.

It does not solve your problem but helps reduce the damage from it till you can find and correct. It also does not take long to write the code and only takes a second of two to check that way...still use on occasion with funky pulls

odd question, does this program use G112 anywhere?

Also, what's with the little stub in the pictures? it kinda looks like the end of a bar rather than the start of a new one.

that was the part that was in the spindle, we parted it off after the crash,

Im wondering if we are getting a slight hangup on the jaws when the bar pushes the new bar in, I hand fed a bar into the spindle about 30 times and could not get it to hang up, but you never know.

Frustrating when you're 30 bars into a run then have something like that happen.

ya that's unfortunate.

the manual says a draw-back collet is needed to ensure correct barfeed behavior. it's possible the bar can catch the back side of a jaw depending on orientation.

as previously mentioned, there's always the option of positioning the turret as a hard stop before the new bar.

Had the same problem.
Sounds like your length eye sensor is aligned but just barley.
You got a yellow and green light and if one of those light flicker when loading a bar that could happen.
Do a manual test (no automatic movement) pushing by hand the current bar size thru the censor area and watch the light both yellow and green. Grab the censor and try to wiggle it while sliding a bar and watching the 2 lights.
Say for 1.0 material its perfict but 1/2 or smaller may get a light flicker or a light out.

Make sure your belt has sufficient tension. If you can easily flip the belt around 360 deg, it's probably too loose. That's how ours were out of the factory and both had position loss issues. We tightened them up a bit and haven't had issues since.

Also check alignment of the push rod. If it binds up mid stroke, it can "release" and punch the bar further than it's supposed to.

Back