What's new
What's new

Haas control randomly beeping, 1093 Probe Fail

KaiserGlider

Plastic
Over the past couple of days, my 2012 Haas VF-2 has been making beeping sounds as if its buttons are being pressed, even though there is nobody operating the machine. The beeping is inconsistent - sometimes it will beep like crazy for a few seconds, then it may go silent for several minutes, or beep once a minute, etc. I went ahead and pressed all the buttons several times, in case one of them was being pushed in and making contact with the control. This didn't help. I've been trying to look for patterns and potential causes. On Friday I noticed that it didn't seem to beep for the first hour or two of the day, before it went back to making random beeps for the rest of the shift. On Monday, after the machine had been off for two days, I heard maybe one or two beeps during the first half of the day... then it was back to business as (un)usual.

The good news was that this didn't lead to any actual issues with operating the machine itself. Or so I thought. The Renishaw spindle probe has stopped working, alarming out with a "1093 Probe Fail" every time it tries to touch off a surface. Changing the batteries, recalibrating the probe, and making sure nothing was obstructing the signal didn't help. So I can't help but think that maybe the two issues could be related. If I can fix the beeping first, I can eliminate that as a potential cause for the probe issue, before troubleshooting the probe further.

Last edited:
Format 1093(PROBE FAIL)
Cause
This alarm occurs if the probe did not trigger during the move.
Action
Edit the program.
This is a reset condition. Edit the program and start again from a safe start
position. The surface was not found or the probe has failed.

This is from the Renishaw manual.

Also, do you keep the probe in the tool magazine? If it's not turned off it may rattle around while the machine runs and it will start beeping. You can tell if it's on because a bunch of colored lights on the probe body will be lit up. You can turn it off with an M code but I don't remember offhand which one.

I'd suggest you immediately make sure you have a current backup of the machine on a USB stick, and also make sure you can locate your machine activation code and activation codes for all options.

You may find clues to what's going on in the alarm history or keyboard history.

It could be a corrupted software problem, possibly arising from a low battery. Did you see any low battery messages? If so, you need replace the battery or install the Haas dual batter kit.

It may be efficient to eliminate corrupted software as a problem, before looking for hardware issues. To refresh the control's software you need to "reinitialize" the controller. Google can find you the instructions on how to do that, but in any case you will need to re-enter all activation codes and restore your backup after reinitializing.

Good luck!

Format 1093(PROBE FAIL)
Cause
This alarm occurs if the probe did not trigger during the move.
Action
Edit the program.
This is a reset condition. Edit the program and start again from a safe start
position. The surface was not found or the probe has failed.

This is from the Renishaw manual.

Also, do you keep the probe in the tool magazine? If it's not turned off it may rattle around while the machine runs and it will start beeping. You can tell if it's on because a bunch of colored lights on the probe body will be lit up. You can turn it off with an M code but I don't remember offhand which one.

There are a couple/few ways to turn off probe that I know of. signal off, timed off, and M code. Did you accidentally touch the stylus while changing batteries? (that can change settings for on/off)

your problem is probably soooo simple you're not going to believe it.

Check the setup keys on the side of the control. Sometimes, they vibrate half way between on and off.

The probe is usually kept in the tool magazine at all times and turns off when not in use. I did however accidently take it out of the machine when I meant to take another tool out - this happened about two weeks ago. I would say it was pretty close to the time that the beeping started, maybe a few days before. The probe worked fine for about a week after that I took it out/put it back in the spindle, until the 1093 alarm fiasco.

Upon further testing, it seems the probe isn't as bad as I thought and I've narrowed things down somewhat. I had been hesitant to test out the other probing routines in the event that the probe might not be able to detect a surface and break the ruby tip as a result, but after trying out the other routines I found out that it could still probe a bore, web x (probe X at two edges and calculate midpoint), and single surface in Z. The only one it couldn't do was single surface X or Y, positive or negative.

Then I decided to dial in the runout on the ruby tip and see if that improved things. The runout was pretty bad since I had accidently snapped a stylus a few days earlier after getting the Probe Fail alarm, and hadn't bothered to dial in the runout on the new tip. I didn't think it would affect whether or not the probe could detect a surface, and I didn't want to spend the time on it when we might be forced to replace the probe anyway. However, after dialing in the tip and recalibrating again, now it CAN probe single surface Y and X. Yes, I should have had the tip dialed in when recalibrating earlier, but this way let me see what affect it had on the probing routines.

I checked the probe settings using Trigger Logic and this is what they are. It's a Renishaw OMP40-2 probe.
- Switch off Method: Set to "Short Timeout 12s"
- Enhanced Trigger Filter Setting: Set to "Toggle Filter Off"
- Optical Transmission Method: Set to "Modulated Probe 1"
- Optical Power: Set to "Standard"

And this is the code it outputs for single surface in X probing:

(PROBE - SINGLE SURFACE) ;
G65 P9995 W58. A20. D0.1 ;
;
M30 ;
;

As for the beeping, turning the setup keys does not help, if you mean the ones that have be turned by a key.

Last edited:
I had mine stay on for a few days, would get an alarm sometimes while probing sometimes not. one day I probed and it hit z surface and broke.
replaced redid the set up still on. so I took the batts out to replace them. looked at the date and remembered I just did a month prior.
put the batts back in and everything worked perfectly shuts off and everything.

now I dont know if it beeped cause I for some reason cant hear it even when it working properly unless I am right next to the speaker.

try removing the batts for a few mins, let it reset it self so to speak.

The beeping continues even when there are no batteries in both the spindle probe and the OTS tool setter. Pressing the PARAM/DGNOS button twice, in the I/O tab, I see that "G31 Block Skip" changes from 1 to 0 every time the machine beeps. Haas tech support says there might be a contamination on the connection, cable, or the probe system itself might be defective.

After thinking I had the probe working yesterday, I start touching off tools. Tool#1 touched off fine, but when tool#2 made contact with the OTS probing disk, instead of being probed, the tool kept going down until it snapped off the OTS tool setter's disk. At least I managed to stop the tool before it went down far enough to damage the main body of the OTS tool setter. We were having a Haas guy come in next week anyway, so he'll take a look at the machine then.

your problem is probably soooo simple you're not going to believe it.

Check the setup keys on the side of the control. Sometimes, they vibrate half way between on and off.

We do not have a Renishaw probe, but I understand they are pricey, probably why we don't have one. That jibe aside for the price I would expect a good switch.
Another case of bean counter lower the price and while your at it engineer it fail after so many hours.

I would put $100 on the connection between the OMM (The Renishaw sensor thing attached to the back wall of the machine) and the machine. What is happening is that the connection is randomly triggering the skip signal for the machine which is why you hear the beeping. The reason the beeping does not affect anything except when you try and use the probe is because the machine is not waiting for a skip signal in most other modes of operation.

It is either the OMM itself or the cable from the OMM to the machine. I would bet on the cable. Try jiggling the cable from the OMM to the machine where it connects to the machine and where it connects to the sensor, if the machine beeps you know your answer. You need to do this while the machine is on so safety first.

I would put $100 on the connection between the OMM (The Renishaw sensor thing attached to the back wall of the machine) and the machine. What is happening is that the connection is randomly triggering the skip signal for the machine which is why you hear the beeping. The reason the beeping does not affect anything except when you try and use the probe is because the machine is not waiting for a skip signal in most other modes of operation.

It is either the OMM itself or the cable from the OMM to the machine. I would bet on the cable. Try jiggling the cable from the OMM to the machine where it connects to the machine and where it connects to the sensor, if the machine beeps you know your answer. You need to do this while the machine is on so safety first.

You might be able to narrow things down a bit by watching the optical interface (the thing on the back wall of the machine.). If the led's flicker when the machine spontaneously beeps, then suspect either the power supply or wiring that supplies voltage to the OMI. Otherwise maybe suspect the actual probe skip signal connections or the OMI unit. The power and signal are both in the armored cable coming from the OMI unit.

You can see wiring and cable diagrams (although they may not correspond exactly to your machine) here:

https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam...nglish---electrical-service-manual---2011.pdf

It will be interesting to hear what your Haas tech determines the issue is. Inquiring minds want to know.:scratchchin:

The beeping continues even when there are no batteries in both the spindle probe and the OTS tool setter. Pressing the PARAM/DGNOS button twice, in the I/O tab, I see that "G31 Block Skip" changes from 1 to 0 every time the machine beeps. Haas tech support says there might be a contamination on the connection, cable, or the probe system itself might be defective.

After thinking I had the probe working yesterday, I start touching off tools. Tool#1 touched off fine, but when tool#2 made contact with the OTS probing disk, instead of being probed, the tool kept going down until it snapped off the OTS tool setter's disk. At least I managed to stop the tool before it went down far enough to damage the main body of the OTS tool setter. We were having a Haas guy come in next week anyway, so he'll take a look at the machine then.

Any update on what the cause was? I have a machine doing the same thing snapping the break stem

What year is the Haas it's on? Pulled the batts and unplugged the receiver power? My only real input is that I wired in mine. It was via the optional Mcode User relays and P22. P22 as an input for the skip signal. It is an electronic input and part of the IO boards circuit on my 98 VF. hence the wonder on model year. Something to validate are P22 pin inputs if used. is there something connected... might be a thread to pull. Just a thought.. So if you figure it out, please post back. It's a thing. LOL

Any update on what the cause was? I have a machine doing the same thing snapping the break stem

What year is the Haas it's on? Pulled the batts and unplugged the receiver power? My only real input is that I wired in mine. It was via the optional Mcode User relays and P22. P22 as an input for the skip signal. It is an electronic input and part of the IO boards circuit on my 98 VF. hence the wonder on model year. Something to validate are P22 pin inputs if used. is there something connected... might be a thread to pull. Just a thought.. So if you figure it out, please post back. It's a thing. LOL

The machine is a 2005. As far as I know the machine was purchased used with the probing system already installed, and it is a wired system not wireless. No batteries to pull

I will look into the wiring and check some continuity, maybe I will stumble across something.

Just a helpful on the I/O board. From the links above: Page 55 starts the I/O bd. Page 62, P22 is Skip plug. Page 74 shows the Probe wiring w/ the User Mcode relay board. Never noticed this diagram before. A keeper! It looks like the way I did mine.
. I just cannot recall if there is an active high or low input, or just a contact close to ground. A Meter on the P22 plug and use continuity w/ beep or record high Record Low (which my fluke does) w/ tone. Then I can walk away w/ the clips on an just pop around back when I hear something. If P22 is unplugged, and you still get the ding... something from the P22 plug into the I.O board?

You can see wiring and cable diagrams (although they may not correspond exactly to your machine) here:
https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam/...ual---2011.pdf

Back