Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ran 3hrs of xyz movements last night at medium speed and had zero issues. I'll cut some metal today!

2. Likes jancollc, Totallyrc, Chris59, Volitan, swatkins liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ran all day with no problems. Good enough for me!

4. Likes Chris59, SIM, BGL liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who did the motor repair?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by npolanosky View Post
    Saturday night I heard a bang and then repeated thuds while machining some softjaws. Somehow the counterweight in my '93 VF3 snapped one of the chains. It is now dangling from one chain, wedged sideways inside the column.
    The little vtl's that I like a lot use a counterweight too (too cheap for air cylinders). But they do a kind of nice thing - the counterweight has two bores and the whole thing slides on a pair of vertical rods. It might even have a teflon liner. Much better control of the counterweight. No swinging wildly under short rapid moves, no getting cocked if a chain breaks, still cheap but better.

Maybe Haas oughter look into that ...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Maybe Haas oughter look into that ...
    Sounds like a much more elegant way to do it. I think all the machines after the late 90's use a nitrogen counterbalance though, so it's a non-issue and anything less ancient than this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by BGL View Post
    Who did the motor repair?
    Eurton Electric in CA. After this experience I would not recommend them. They increased the price on me after receiving the motor, despite the quote being for a "worst case" rebuild. Took almost 2.5 weeks, up from their 5-7 day turnaround as quoted. They did some dodgy stuff on the encoder wire - smashed the connector trying to open it, eventually must have given up and just cut it and then re-soldered it, but did a poor job soldering it so my machine threw encoder errors. I had to spend a bunch of time diagnosing and fixing that myself. And finally, they were kinda just rude. The first guy I worked with seemed fine, but after that I got handed to someone else who was not pleasant to work with.

Whatever though, none of that matters. What matters is that I've filled 4x 55 gallon drums with chips this week and I'm not stressed about delivering orders on time. And my new-to-me low hours 2006 VM3 comes in a week and a half, so any future downtime on the old machine is less problematic. Looking forward to a more reliable machine with lots of toys to play with (Probing, TSC, 12k spindle, etc).

8. Likes BGL liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a nightmare story dealing with Global Electronic Services. In short their bad handling of my motor resulted in a destroyed encoder.. 0.008" TIR on the encoder shaft. 0.010" TIR on the commutator beat the mirror coating off clean. The only good I can say is whoever did the wire wrapping, soldering and encapsulation is an artist, double backed fiberglass tape reinforced - better than factory.
    But the encoder shaft got bent in process - I saw it reassembling. Kept moving. Only me to blame BUT.. I sent back the entire assembled unit and they sent back with a clean bill of health. My later test with an o scope showed flat line. I only disassembled the encoder after test, glass scale wiped clean.

Method used to turn commutator is basically a v block,fine but bent encoder shaft equals non centric comm. Their OC is greatly flawed.

I detailed all this and admitted my culpability in a detailed email to them - no reply.. fast forward over a year and I get a call soliciting service. I give the guy both barrels in the face, puts me on with a smooth talking manager. Promising to look into it and get back to me... that was five months ago, still nada.

I fixed it myself straightening shaft and truing commutator and a new $400 encoder. Immediate improvement in smooth feeling rotation, can you imagine brush bounce at that TIR full speed? If there is another repair to do I will do myself.. not like I'm printing $$ with the old girl.

RANT OVER

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For sure. Seems like motor repair and basic board level repair/component testing is a valuable skill to have. Nothing is really that complex when you break it down to parts.

I used to rewind motors for rc model planes, may try my hand at a larger motor soon. I have a big fanuc motor from my lathe with a ground fault. I already replaced it, so I have nothing to lose really. It's just a brushless motor like my planes as far as I can tell, just bigger.

If you want it done right, do it yourself eh?

11. Likes BGL liked this post