What's new
What's new

Haas Desktop Mill

p-B

Plastic
Hello, I am working with a brand new Haas desktop mill. I am having trouble setting the offsets. From my understanding, there are 3 offsets that I need to complete in order to get my program to run. 1, the tool offset which measure the length of the tool. 2, the work offset where my engraving will be on the material to be cut, and 3 the machine offset or zero. I read the operators manual (cover to cover) and it only has the tool and work offset.

I get several errors when I run my g-code; machine is not zeroed, z- overtravel, and when I correct those issues and reads 'T1 M6' it says that it doesn't recognize the operation.

Where can I read more information on how to correct the errors I am making?

I've never actually seen the desktop in the wild. But from what I understand its the same Haas NGC controller. Does it ask you to cycle the door and turn off the E-Stop when you first boot up?

Then when you press "Power Up" does it move around a little bit to find limit switches? That should set machine zero.

As for the T1 M6, as you don't have a tool changer (do you?) I would think it would wait for a manual tool change.

https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam...ish---mill-ngc---operator's-manual---2017.pdf

Here is the NGC operators manual, most of the stuff should apply to your machine.

Did you get the machine for personal use? Or are you at a school?

I realized that my work offset was off. G54, G55 and G56. Do we need to enter x, y and z coordinates for each?

I've never actually seen the desktop in the wild. But from what I understand its the same Haas NGC controller. Does it ask you to cycle the door and turn off the E-Stop when you first boot up?

Then when you press "Power Up" does it move around a little bit to find limit switches? That should set machine zero.

As for the T1 M6, as you don't have a tool changer (do you?) I would think it would wait for a manual tool change.

https://www.haascnc.com/content/dam...ish---mill-ngc---operator's-manual---2017.pdf

Here is the NGC operators manual, most of the stuff should apply to your machine.

Did you get the machine for personal use? Or are you at a school?

Yes, you are correct. It is a manual tool change. I am allowed to use one at school and I have a few months with it until the semester starts. I haven't used a HAAS machine in over a year, and before that it's been since 2012. I operate a FANUC and an AMADA at work. I am just trying to get familiar with HAAS again.

I found this video and at the 2:57 timestamp he enters coordinates for all three lines. I never used a touch screen HAAS machine before and this would be the first time, all of the other HAAS machines I've used (Lathe and Mill) didn't have that feature and from what I remember there wasn't any conversational programming features (like in the video). It's really fun, I love being an operator but I want to start programming.

Yes, you're correct. I just pressed the power up button and it did move.

You actually need 4 "offsets"
1) tool H value (length)
2) G54-55-56 etc X
3) "" Y
4) ""Z

Does the machine have the F3 for safe mode? If it does may want to use that until you get more familiar.

Let's start with the basics here...start with x and y first.

How are you picking up your x,y 0 on your part?

I tried to place the xy0 with the machine zero and got overtravel. I'm not sure where the zero is located. I assumed it was bottom left hand corner from the perspective of the drill bit facing me.

then I tried to center on the center of the work station (it's only 9x8 space) and it wasn't doing that well either.

OP, with all due respect, you should really get some hands on training. Your XY "0" is your "work" zero, not machine zero. Watch this video. Does this answer any of your questions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNjMIIRttFE

As far as tool height offsets, I personally don't set them according to the video above, I set them all to the table using a touch off gauge. All my Z offsets are a positive value.... Starting off as a newbie however, you should set ALL of your tool height offsets to the top of the work. It will help you avoid a crash. In doing so, all of your Z offsets will be "0". Again, watch the video.

I'm used to FANUC controls. I'm new to HAAS. It's not that different but the menu is just going to take me getting used to.

Yes it does help thank you. Now I need to edit my g-code. I did use cam (online open source) and if I had mastercam I wouldn't have any issues. Haha!

Yeah guys, I got the offsets correct and everything too. Just never used a HAAS with a touch screen before, in fact.

Back