Haas diy lighting upgrade help??
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Haas diy lighting upgrade help??

hi all
    the interior lighting inside my Haas VF2 has blown, it currently uses the Phillips fluorescent bulbs, however iv have heard good things about the LED lighting upgrade that you can buy directly from Haas, looking more into this it seems very expensive for what is essentially two led lamps and a plug in.
    therefore does anyone know if i can wire in two new LED lamps myself, i'm just worried that it may cause electrical problems within the machine if i don't use the correct lamps
    has anyone either done this themselves or know any lamps that will work safely
    cheers
    c

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

just get a couple LED worklights and mount them into the old fluorescent housings.

3. Likes cbailey liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I put these in my VF4, have been working great and instant on vs the 5 min on time of the old ones I had., just connected to the same wires as the old ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jeff P on Instagram: “Some new led lights in the VF4. Big improvement over the old slow to turn on yellowish lights. Haas wanted like 3 for them, got these on…”

5. Likes cbailey, Volitan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks guys, I’m not the best with all the electrical side of it, and I’d have hated to plug it in and damage something off the motherboard. I know the ones you sent are ip66 rated, in your opinions would an ip65 be sufficient?

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cbailey View Post
    Thanks guys, I’m not the best with all the electrical side of it, and I’d have hated to plug it in and damage something off the motherboard. I know the ones you sent are ip66 rated, in your opinions would an ip65 be sufficient?
    IP65 Protected from total dust ingress Protected from low pressure water jets from any direction, limited ingress protection
    IP66​ Protected from total dust ingress Protected from high pressure water jets from any direction, limited ingress protection

I would definitely want IP66

8. Likes cbailey liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Okay so I’m looking at worklights, does anyone know the voltage that the wiring runs off as The majority of the worklights available in the uk are 240v, I don’t know enough about electrics to know if this will be an issue or not

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The worklights we use are 120v I believe. I have the same model wired to an extension cord with no ill effects.

11. Likes cbailey liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Open the cover outside the enclosure by the lights and test the voltage with a meter to be sure.

13. Likes cbailey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cbailey View Post
    Okay so I’m looking at worklights, does anyone know the voltage that the wiring runs off as The majority of the worklights available in the uk are 240v, I don’t know enough about electrics to know if this will be an issue or not
    The Amazon link in #3 states that those lights have a "wide working voltage(85-265V)" capability, so you should be set as long as you're not outside those limits.

15. Likes cbailey liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lightbulb updates

updates,
    I purchased two 10w led floodlights IP65 rated running on the 240v we use In the UK, wiring them in was very simple, removed the old fluorescent assembly, leaving the horizontal support that my LEDs could mount to, then simply cut the wires just after haas' own 'wire conector, spliced in the cable from the LED with a simple connector strip, then remounted the junction box and bang, job done
    the 10w provides loads of light in the cabinet.
    I also purchased a 20w for the SL20, however I felt let down when I discovered where the wire connector was located wasn't even sealed in, the whole wire cas covered in coolant oils, bit sketchy designing on haas' behalf if you ask me,
    overall would definitely recommend this easy modification for anyone looking to upgrade their lighting in the machine, overall costing me £60 for the VF2 compared to the £300+ has were charging,
    thanks for everyone's advice

Connor

17. Likes Cycle1000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Note that early VF-1's have a separate operator's lamp transformer T2 which supplies 10 VAC for the lamp. It connects to the power PCB by connector P19.
    I put a bridge rectifier in line from the transformer to supply DC to automotive off road LED lamps (one in each front corner). Nice and bright without the shadows.

19. Likes BGL liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used similar LED's that were IP65 rated and they lasted about 6 months before they crapped out due to coolant intrusion. Would definitely go with IP66 or IP67.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've always recommended people buy LED aquarium lighting for retrofits on CNC equipment. They're cheaper and relatively easy to hook up without wiring into the control.