What's new
What's new

Haas diy lighting upgrade help??

cbailey

Plastic
hi all
the interior lighting inside my Haas VF2 has blown, it currently uses the Phillips fluorescent bulbs, however iv have heard good things about the LED lighting upgrade that you can buy directly from Haas, looking more into this it seems very expensive for what is essentially two led lamps and a plug in.
therefore does anyone know if i can wire in two new LED lamps myself, i'm just worried that it may cause electrical problems within the machine if i don't use the correct lamps
has anyone either done this themselves or know any lamps that will work safely
cheers
c

Thanks guys, I’m not the best with all the electrical side of it, and I’d have hated to plug it in and damage something off the motherboard. I know the ones you sent are ip66 rated, in your opinions would an ip65 be sufficient?

Thanks guys, I’m not the best with all the electrical side of it, and I’d have hated to plug it in and damage something off the motherboard. I know the ones you sent are ip66 rated, in your opinions would an ip65 be sufficient?

IP65 Protected from total dust ingress Protected from low pressure water jets from any direction, limited ingress protection
IP66​ Protected from total dust ingress Protected from high pressure water jets from any direction, limited ingress protection

I would definitely want IP66

Okay so I’m looking at worklights, does anyone know the voltage that the wiring runs off as The majority of the worklights available in the uk are 240v, I don’t know enough about electrics to know if this will be an issue or not

The worklights we use are 120v I believe. I have the same model wired to an extension cord with no ill effects.

Okay so I’m looking at worklights, does anyone know the voltage that the wiring runs off as The majority of the worklights available in the uk are 240v, I don’t know enough about electrics to know if this will be an issue or not

The Amazon link in #3 states that those lights have a "wide working voltage(85-265V)" capability, so you should be set as long as you're not outside those limits.

updates

updates,
I purchased two 10w led floodlights IP65 rated running on the 240v we use In the UK, wiring them in was very simple, removed the old fluorescent assembly, leaving the horizontal support that my LEDs could mount to, then simply cut the wires just after haas' own 'wire conector, spliced in the cable from the LED with a simple connector strip, then remounted the junction box and bang, job done
the 10w provides loads of light in the cabinet.
I also purchased a 20w for the SL20, however I felt let down when I discovered where the wire connector was located wasn't even sealed in, the whole wire cas covered in coolant oils, bit sketchy designing on haas' behalf if you ask me,
overall would definitely recommend this easy modification for anyone looking to upgrade their lighting in the machine, overall costing me £60 for the VF2 compared to the £300+ has were charging,
thanks for everyone's advice

Connor

Note that early VF-1's have a separate operator's lamp transformer T2 which supplies 10 VAC for the lamp. It connects to the power PCB by connector P19.
I put a bridge rectifier in line from the transformer to supply DC to automotive off road LED lamps (one in each front corner). Nice and bright without the shadows.

I used similar LED's that were IP65 rated and they lasted about 6 months before they crapped out due to coolant intrusion. Would definitely go with IP66 or IP67.

I've always recommended people buy LED aquarium lighting for retrofits on CNC equipment. They're cheaper and relatively easy to hook up without wiring into the control.

A bright house with many beautiful decorations always brings a wonderful mood. I put the lights in my kitchen because we leave just one light when we go to bed to be capable of seeing the stairs. This little light gives well-balanced brightness and switches off when the natural light is already in the room. I know that now there can be often met the problem of the quality of room lighting products. I also encountered such dissatisfaction along the way until I came across these durable night lights, which don't waste their energy after 5 minutes of switching on.

Back