What's new
What's new

Haas Door Overide

quadman2007

Aluminum
I have a 2013 VF4-SS and when I am doing setups or small quick runs it would be nice to run the machine with the doors open like you can the older HAAS by going in and changing a setting. This is in a very small job shop setting. I know that the keyswitch on the side of the panel allows me to run the spindle up to 750 rpm with the doors open but you can't run a program. Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks

I was told by our reseller at a former job that they took that ability out. They have some "one way" tamperproof screws on the sensor itself. You'll see there's a key that slides into a sensor-box when the door closes. That key could be removed and placed into the box without it coming out when you open the door.

Ya I did see that, I was hoping for a option that I could easily disable/enable so when I do have a green button pusher running the machine I can keep insurance claims to a minimum.

I have yet to see a "tamperproof" screw that my smoke wrench couldn't take care of!

My TM-1 came with the God forsaken "hold to run" switch...what a joke! I removed the switch on the coiled cord, and replaced with a panel mount push button. Every time I power up, it prompts "cycle safety switch" at which point I press the button, and I'm good to go from then on.

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but it leads to an idea. If you were to trace the wires from the interlock switch back to the terminals they attach to in the control cabinet, connect a pair of wires in parallel to those terminals, and install a keyed panel mount switch connected to the wires, you would create a bypass switch with keyed access. Turning the key would trick the controller into thinking the door was closed.

Perhaps easier would be to source a replacement "key" that corresponds to your safety switch. Put it on your keychain to maintain control of it. Hide your keys when OSHA comes through!

Magnetic interlocks (which were easily defeated by "flat magnets painted a bright color) are quickly being phased out, in favor of mechanical switches which are much more difficult to bypass.

That is a really good idea to get a replacement key, it would take 2 because there is 2 doors, not a big deal. We have a sheet metal side to our shop so I can have them cut me out a handful. The wiring a keyswitch, I could do, but it sounds like a project and I would rather not do that because the machine is still under warranty and everyone knows how companys try to get around warranty work. I havnt seen a magnetic safety switch on new machines in quite some time. Thanks for the help!

Quadman- I would like to hear what you come up with. We have a 2014 VF2SS and the Haas service guy wouldn't give me his service keys.

We just added two VF-4s, and I am still searching for a simple override solution. The best option i have seen so far is to add the previously mentioned override switch to the door interlocks. You just need to leave it off to cycle the doors first thing in the morning, and then turn it on as needed to bypass the switches. I will probably unhook the wiring in the cabinet and add it at the terminals as opposed to cutting the wiring anywhere, so it can easily be removed. I still think the whole over-the-top safety thing is hurting american manufacturing pretty badly. Our job is not safe. It will never be safe. If you can't accept that then you shouldn't be in the shop in the first place.

And put it where??

Sorry, this only works on machines with a proximity switch. I see the machines your talking about use a "key" that slides in. With the proximity switch I use a rectangular magnet wrapped in red electrical tape, just cover the sensor and it works - use at your own risk.

I have a 2008 SL-20 you can go into settings and change one that allows you to run with the door open. This is a long gone feature. I had a recent service call and the tech is required to disable this setting on all older machines. If you refuse to let him do it you must sign a form releasing HAAS from any liability. I signed it.

Ron

Oooo good call. Kinda takes the sport out of it though! Do you just leave that "key" in the switches so that your door is always over-rided?

Yea, I was the only one using it, though. I occasionally had another shop guy running production "button pushing" stuff if I had a large quantity with a painless part swap set up. Otherwise it was all me. I did a lot of random-ass stuff that sometimes had to hang out the doors.

AARONT- I am going to make a set of keys, when I have time. I might be convinced to ship a pair if need be...I am first going to call HAAS and see what they say when I tell them I have a job coming up that the part will need to be sticking out the door.

When our UMC-750 got installed the techs told me they had keys laser cut by someone as even Haas won't supply them to their own techs for install! I worked on a VF2, probably 2012 or maybe 2011. It had a switch and key mounted on each door IIRC. We simply reversed the switches and left the keys in. We reversed the switch so the keys would not interfere with each other when closing the doors. When the machine is in run mode the key is locked in place (this is what "locks" the doors during operation) so the only concern was to not be to rough with the doors to dislodge them while setting up and such. If they still have a similar setup you should be able to laser or waterjet a couple keys for your own personal use.
I would be interested what Haas says about a part needing to hang out the front quadman. :D I'm sure they have something saying safe operation is within the table limits so its not their problem....

Lol I just realized, we have a whole page of machinists crying about being locked out of their machines by a simple metal key. When I built injection molding and die casting machines, we only bolted the safety keys on and provided spares, knowing full well that the first thing every customer was going to do was override them. Really, we just need a pair of plasma cut keys with a long handle extending off the end. Bend one each way and plug in when you need to. I will probably have to hand forge and file my set because I don't have access to any other equipment right now, but it's shouldn't be difficult. We should all start posting pictures of our door keys to verify that there is only one pattern before anyone starts making them. I wonder if the manufacturer would simply sell them as a replacement part?

I have a 2008 SL-20 you can go into settings and change one that allows you to run with the door open. This is a long gone feature. I had a recent service call and the tech is required to disable this setting on all older machines. If you refuse to let him do it you must sign a form releasing HAAS from any liability. I signed it.

Ron

There is no way that tech would be able to leave if he tried that on my machine.:nono: I had 2 techs out within the last 8 months or so and none were interested in such nonsense.

Has Haas been held liable before for anything related to this? I've never heard of any cases.

Back