What's new
What's new

haas ds30y help

mleclair5290

Plastic
so my shop recently purchased a haas ds30y lathe. ive been the one setting it up and what not , and on friday i was running a job that i set up in there. now keep in mind i run a nakamura tome sc-300 lathe as well. So im running this job on the haas, same exact way i run it on my nakamura, and its cutting at a .001 taper and is not cutting the part round at all. You would think if it works perfectly on my nakamura that it would run perfect on a BRAND NEW MACHINE. so why would it be cutting different on this machine? im cutting a bar and i got a bushing at the end of the bar for support, it just seems very odd that a brand new machine would be having these kind of problems.

Dirt between the part and jaws or dirt between the jaws and chuck. A thou taper isn’t anything i would worry about. Just program it out.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner! With the lack of pertinent information from the OP, that’s the first thing that comes to mind. You can certainly make all manner of parts with a Haas lathe, I know because I ran a shop with Haas lathes for 10 years. However, expecting a program that runs great on a Nakamura (box way, slant bed, top tier Japanese turning center) to run great on a Haas (linear ball way, wedge style, commodity turning center) is not a guaranteed slam dunk. I don’t know your level of Haas experience, but if you are going from premium Japanese machines to Haas, you will have to moderate your expectations.

I love all things Haas, but I know when to call a spade a spade lol

look im not trying to sound stupid ok, i didnt buy the thing my owner did i knew it was a mistake. but you would think a BRAND NEW machine would run the same if not better then a ten year old machine.

look im not trying to sound stupid ok, i didnt buy the thing my owner did i knew it was a mistake. but you would think a BRAND NEW machine would run the same if not better then a ten year old machine.

Maybe use that as a testament to the fact that a quality 10 year old Japanese machine will cut better than a brand new Haas.

Is the part in spec? Don’t worry about it.

If it isn’t better get tweaking.

Maybe use that as a testament to the fact that a quality 10 year old Japanese machine will cut better than a brand new Haas.

Is the part in spec? Don’t worry about it.

If it isn’t better get tweaking.

it is in spec but the parts they want to put on it next will not be in spec if its like this, i need to have a sit down with my boss i think

so my shop recently purchased a haas ds30y lathe. ive been the one setting it up and what not , and on friday i was running a job that i set up in there. now keep in mind i run a nakamura tome sc-300 lathe as well. So im running this job on the haas, same exact way i run it on my nakamura, and its cutting at a .001 taper and is not cutting the part round at all. You would think if it works perfectly on my nakamura that it would run perfect on a BRAND NEW MACHINE. so why would it be cutting different on this machine? im cutting a bar and i got a bushing at the end of the bar for support, it just seems very odd that a brand new machine would be having these kind of problems.

Your description gives us little to go on: length, diameter, material etc.

But, the question I have is why post here and not call your Haas distributor for assistance? If it is a new machine, it maybe needs better set up.

Back