haas ds30y help
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: haas ds30y help

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Angry haas ds30y help

    so my shop recently purchased a haas ds30y lathe. ive been the one setting it up and what not , and on friday i was running a job that i set up in there. now keep in mind i run a nakamura tome sc-300 lathe as well. So im running this job on the haas, same exact way i run it on my nakamura, and its cutting at a .001 taper and is not cutting the part round at all. You would think if it works perfectly on my nakamura that it would run perfect on a BRAND NEW MACHINE. so why would it be cutting different on this machine? im cutting a bar and i got a bushing at the end of the bar for support, it just seems very odd that a brand new machine would be having these kind of problems.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default

    have you checked your chuck pressure at all ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Dirt between the part and jaws or dirt between the jaws and chuck. A thou taper isn’t anything i would worry about. Just program it out.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss710 View Post
    have you checked your chuck pressure at all ?
    yes my chuck pressure is around 150

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    riverside, ca, usa
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    31
    Likes (Received)
    93

    Default

    DS30Y = lathe. TRUE
    SC-300 = lathe. TRUE
    Haas = Nakamura Tome. NOT TRUE

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhearons View Post
    DS30Y = lathe. TRUE
    SC-300 = lathe. TRUE
    Haas = Nakamura Tome. NOT TRUE
    what does that even mean

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Posts
    2,425
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    521
    Likes (Received)
    755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mleclair5290 View Post
    what does that even mean

    I take it he's saying you cant buy a Haas and expect it to perform like a Nakamura.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    183
    Likes (Received)
    1112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mleclair5290 View Post
    what does that even mean
    They are both lathes but the Haas isn't a nak...I ran a 300 for a while, main and sub twin turrets live tooling using both sides of the turrets simultaneously...held tenths all day long in 17-4 and ti6al4v. I seriously doubt a haas will do that...only problem was it was fragile.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    riverside, ca, usa
    Posts
    371
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    31
    Likes (Received)
    93

    Default

    Ding! Ding! Ding! Winner! With the lack of pertinent information from the OP, that’s the first thing that comes to mind. You can certainly make all manner of parts with a Haas lathe, I know because I ran a shop with Haas lathes for 10 years. However, expecting a program that runs great on a Nakamura (box way, slant bed, top tier Japanese turning center) to run great on a Haas (linear ball way, wedge style, commodity turning center) is not a guaranteed slam dunk. I don’t know your level of Haas experience, but if you are going from premium Japanese machines to Haas, you will have to moderate your expectations.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,986
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    183
    Likes (Received)
    1112

    Default

    I love all things Haas, but I know when to call a spade a spade lol

  11. Likes g-coder05 liked this post
  12. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    I love all things Haas, but I know when to call a spade a spade lol
    look im not trying to sound stupid ok, i didnt buy the thing my owner did i knew it was a mistake. but you would think a BRAND NEW machine would run the same if not better then a ten year old machine.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Posts
    1,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    361
    Likes (Received)
    585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mleclair5290 View Post
    look im not trying to sound stupid ok, i didnt buy the thing my owner did i knew it was a mistake. but you would think a BRAND NEW machine would run the same if not better then a ten year old machine.
    Maybe use that as a testament to the fact that a quality 10 year old Japanese machine will cut better than a brand new Haas.

    Is the part in spec? Don’t worry about it.

    If it isn’t better get tweaking.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazzert View Post
    Maybe use that as a testament to the fact that a quality 10 year old Japanese machine will cut better than a brand new Haas.

    Is the part in spec? Don’t worry about it.

    If it isn’t better get tweaking.
    it is in spec but the parts they want to put on it next will not be in spec if its like this, i need to have a sit down with my boss i think

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    64
    Likes (Received)
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mleclair5290 View Post
    so my shop recently purchased a haas ds30y lathe. ive been the one setting it up and what not , and on friday i was running a job that i set up in there. now keep in mind i run a nakamura tome sc-300 lathe as well. So im running this job on the haas, same exact way i run it on my nakamura, and its cutting at a .001 taper and is not cutting the part round at all. You would think if it works perfectly on my nakamura that it would run perfect on a BRAND NEW MACHINE. so why would it be cutting different on this machine? im cutting a bar and i got a bushing at the end of the bar for support, it just seems very odd that a brand new machine would be having these kind of problems.
    Your description gives us little to go on: length, diameter, material etc.

    But, the question I have is why post here and not call your Haas distributor for assistance? If it is a new machine, it maybe needs better set up.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Orange county, CA
    Posts
    99
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    21

    Default

    did you check the level on the machine?


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •