What's new
What's new

Haas DT-1 casting dimensions

pointcheck

Plastic
Hello everyone!

Can please someone who has DT-1 in their shop give me a little favor to measure casting dimensions of this machine ? We have bought DT-1 recently, and while its being shipped I have to prepare to get it through relatively narrow doors and corridors on the way to our shop. We plan to get it undressed (removed all the sheet metal enclosures), but I have trouble figuring out casting iron size. Of course I have this mld-dt-1_rev_h.pdf drawing from Haas website, but it's not much helpful in this regard as not all dimensions are given. Salesmen at local HFO cannot provide any info beside that on the website as well. Would be grateful to anyone with exact figures (width X depth). Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Ruslan.

I measured the casting on our 2018 model at 41.5" wide, but I can verify the measurement on tuesday if needed.

The pneumatics maintenance enclosure is located on the right side of the machine, which sticks out further past the casting. Disassembing that section of the machine would be possible, but it would definitely require some effort. I think you would need to re-prime lubricant hoses if you chose to remove it (I've not messed around with the oil hose so I'm not sure if it needs a prime or not).

The rear-lift auger motor sticks out pretty far, so you'd need to remove that if you purchased the option.

That said, my guess is the X-ways would be the widest solid area unless you remove the way covers, and I believe that section of hardware is longer on the machine's left side due to the X-axis motor placed on that side under a casting. I may be wrong though.

Hello YdnaD, thank you for your kind reply.

I have been just told serial number for our machine, it's going to be "pre May 2018" edition with 15k spindle and without rear auger option. Yes we plan to remove all the boxes including pneumatic stuff, motors will remain. Can you please measure both X and Y dimensions of the casting with and w/o the motors if possible ? Thanks.

Regards,
Ruslan.

I just measured our 2014 and it's 41.5" X 64" at the base. That 41.5" to the ends of the little ears that stick out for the leveling pads.

Right under the table it's 47" from one end of the grey covers to the other (underneath the unpainted steel ones on top. Those are 50" end to end but they come off easy enough)

I'd have to pop a couple covers off to see exactly where the motor ends and the bosses here wouldn't like that.

Hope that helps.

Dear Volitan,

Your figures were very helpful, thank you very much for doing measuments. There's no need to get under covers if that can get you in trouble. Thanks again!

How do you like DT-1 machine ? I read on forums that yearly machines (2012-2013) had spindle issues, did you face any ?

Regards,
Ruslan.

Dear Volitan,

Your figures were very helpful, thank you very much for doing measuments. There's no need to get under covers if that can get you in trouble. Thanks again!

How do you like DT-1 machine ? I read on forums that yearly machines (2012-2013) had spindle issues, did you face any ?

Regards,
Ruslan.

It's only been up about a month but I like it a lot. Tool change and rapids are pretty fast. We knew we were getting the probe option but it also came with High Speed Machining and Expanded Memory switched on so that was a nice surprise.

Do you remember where you heard about spindle problems? Ours has a noise only around 2500 RPM or so, where it sounds like a washer spinning on a shaft, or maybe a bearing spinning in it's bore or something like that. It comes and goes.

Thanks

Seems this forum is not allowing me to post links to competitors' websites, try googling for "dt1 spindle speed reduced".

Regards,
Ruslan.

I have two DT1's, a 2013 and a 2018. I haven't seen anything in between but I can say those two year models have quite a few changes to the way the sheet metal is built and the auger systems. Ironically I missed the time when the maximum spindle speed was dropped to 12krpm but I heard it was resolved when Haas started building their own spindles and could take advantage of the higher speed (was told running them for 12kRPM continuously would wear it out, but it's no longer an issue which is why they restored the 15krpm max). I've always assumed there's some kind of duty-cycle for the spindle running that fast, like 50% or something, but Haas doesn't seem to publish that information so it's unknown.

That said, I run them between 12000-15000 RPM on almost all workpieces and haven't had any spindle issues. Almost all tools are 5/16" diameter or smaller, although I do run some larger chamfer mills or corner radius cutters at 15krpm. The one thing I back away is the rapids; I usually run at 50% rapid because for our application it doesn't save much time. It also depends on how much table mass is flying on your machine, because if you stick a big rotary axis on there you may require the anchoring. (very application specific)

Back