What's new
What's new

HAAS High Speed Machining Question

LockTech

Plastic
We are looking at purchasing a new HAAS DM-2. One of the options is HSM for 2k+(if I remember correctly). I was under the impression CAM software dictates using HSM or not and not the machine, of course assuming the machine can process the lines of code fast enough.

So are both required to have HSM enabled? And if so, since it appears to me to just be the way the CAM software runs a toolpath, in what way does the machine play in using HSM?

Thanks

Keith

the hsm code generated by your cam software will be huge. You need the high speed look ahead on the machine, otherwise it will choke of the code.

As an example, I was running some opti-rough paths on a 2012 machine without HSM. You could vary the feed override from 30 to 500% and there was no change in the speed the machine was cutting at. It just can't run the code any faster.

I cannot overstate how important I feel it is to have this feature unlocked on a Haas - obviously depending on what you're doing. We have all Haas mills in our shop, some with HSM and some without. We do a lot of dynamic paths, or adaptive if that's what you want to call it. A lot of rest machining, a lot of surfacing. Essentially on the machines without HSM unlocked you're looking at double the time of what you get on a machine that high speed capable.

even though haas high speed machining sucks dick compared to just about any other machine out there (they say its able to look ahead 1000 blocks, but it really doesnt) its still worth to have it. doing any kind of surfacing or dynamic toolpaths would be insane without it.

even though haas high speed machining sucks dick compared to just about any other machine out there (they say its able to look ahead 1000 blocks, but it really doesnt) its still worth to have it. doing any kind of surfacing or dynamic toolpaths would be insane without it.

I literally went out to a machine the other day and said to the machinist, "What stupid asshole programmed this?"

Turns out it was my program running a bunch of high speed paths on a Haas that wasn't high speed capable.

But yeah, even Hurco HSM makes Haas look like shit.

HSM is machine related ,, It works great in my smaller vf2ss mills with a smaller lighter table and runs slower on the bigger VF4SS, I run a lot of the same programs in both size machineas and I have been vary happy with how Haas HSM works , The VF4SS runs just as fast or faster than the Doosan DNM5700 that had the Fanuc O-I MF control. I have not ran the DM-2 model and would question how fast it would be at short fast moves do the hi pitch ballscrews ,,, Well I have not looked at the actual numbers I have seen a VF2 chew up short fast moves and it looked to be a lot faster on the short moves than the VF2SS mill. I sum it up to the fine pitch ballscrews in the VF2 as launching your car in first gear ,,Its going to be a hell of a lot quicker for the first 20 feet over the VF2SS that is trying to launch in 3rd gear with its course pitch ballscrew ,,,

Back