What's new
What's new

Haas HRT210 165 Alarm

Atomkinder

Titanium
Where the hell is the home switch on this thing? We are getting a 168 Alarm every time we try and home the 4th axis. Before we unplugged the air line, we were getting a 111 servo overload. Also considering replacing the oil, but through the sight glass looks ok so I'm not sure that's necessary.

Last edited:
Just something simple to check. A few years ago, I had a guy come it ranting that the 4th axis was all fucked up. I went out to look, and found that the connectors were all full of chips, and the asshole just plugged them in that way

Just something simple to check. A few years ago, I had a guy come it ranting that the 4th axis was all fucked up. I went out to look, and found that the connectors were all full of chips, and the asshole just plugged them in that way

Been plugging and unplugging, no chips. Generally we keep the 4th in its shipping box and closed up. It only gets used for a few specific jobs.

And now I'm getting a tool arm fault, low voltage... I think we're going to have to wait until our HFO gets their service folks back on Monday. :angry:

Where the hell is the home switch on this thing? We are getting a 168 Alarm every time we try and home the 4th axis. Before we unplugged the air line, we were getting a 111 servo overload. Also considering replacing the oil, but through the sight glass looks ok so I'm not sure that's necessary.

only plug/ unplug while power is off.
home switch= a, zero single axis
did you turn on the setting that is correct for your hrt210? power up restart should home all axes.

airline not connected causing a servo overload has me a little confused. it was my understanding that the air brake is normally on but only when the air is connected. having an overload with no air? hmmm.

too late, i know.

only plug/ unplug while power is off.
home switch= a, zero single axis
did you turn on the setting that is correct for your hrt210? power up restart should home all axes.

It should, but didn't. A-axis return too small, couldn't home it whatsoever. If trying to home other axes one by one, tool arm fault. All sorts of issues.

airline not connected causing a servo overload has me a little confused. it was my understanding that the air brake is normally on but only when the air is connected. having an overload with no air? hmmm.

Other way around. When the air was connected, the servo overloaded, hence the brake was seemingly always on until the air was disconnected.

too late, i know.

Any ideas posted here are good ones, IMO, especially for those who have issues later and can search for them.

We think it's the 4th axis wiring actually. A few months ago another guy had the cables wrapped UNDER the table, returned the table to center location (G53X-32.Y0) and ripped them apart. Our own electronics department resoldered them and the axis seemed to work great. Now it's not. New cables should be arriving Monday I think. Haven't heard anything about them today.

My bet is the motor is faulting out.

I had the same deal happening to mine.

Change the cable out, nope still had the issue. Change the motor out, yup problem solved.

It's an $1100. motor from the factory.

Good luck,

My bet is the motor is faulting out.

I had the same deal happening to mine.

Change the cable out, nope still had the issue. Change the motor out, yup problem solved.

It's an $1100. motor from the factory.

Good luck,

Boy that'd be shitty.

Especially for a 4th that gets used for maybe three jobs. My guess is it's seen less than 100 hours of use since new in 2012.

We had an old Haas rotary table that alarmed out. We found that because of water in our airlines, the brake had locked up. A little WD-40 and playing with it freed it up.

I have seen the a axis return error on a 5c indexer. We actually had a 5c and a hrt210 that we regularly used back and forth. The A error appeared one day after switching from the hrt to the 5c unit. We found if you play with the number in that particular parameter you can get it to work. I wish I remembered more about what was going on. I forget what the formula is to figure what that value should be, but you can get it from Haas. If you happen to find what parameter I am talking about write down the value then change it and see if that fixes the A return error. It should not (never did for us anyways) affect anything else in the machine.

FWIW, the setting for the different types of rotary simply call up a set of parameters, so I like to think of it as a file name.
I have call up the wrong one before which caused wonky home position as gear ratio.
Obviously the current problem is the damaged cable.
I had my brushed 4th cable replaced. 800 bucks installed.

Also just to be needlessly helpful and geeky....
Ever wonder why they make the air cable much longer?
It's because if you ever need to forklift the rotary off via a tombstone or table/platform you leave the air plugged in to keep the brake on until the unit is on the floor or pallet. Save the worm gears this way.

never thought about the brakes . i always picked the thing up by chucking on a 4' length of 1-1/2 pipe , and my assistant and i lift the thing and slide it off the table ...surprised i haven't FU'd the thing by now.

Also just to be needlessly helpful and geeky....
Ever wonder why they make the air cable much longer?
It's because if you ever need to forklift the rotary off via a tombstone or table/platform you leave the air plugged in to keep the brake on until the unit is on the floor or pallet. Save the worm gears this way.

Interesting. We just have a hook on the top and use a dedicated hoist for it and other fixtures that are too big/heavy for people.

Isn't a 168 alarm a "A zero return margin too small" alarm? I think you have to tweak parameter 128. I've had to do it in the past. Adjust the parameter by 1000 either in the plus or minus direction until the alarm goes away when homing the 4th.

I found this forum post after Google searching for Alarm 165 "Axis Zero Return Margin is Too Small", specifically for an HRT160-P3 4th-Axis (A-axis) rotary that I recently connected to my 2019 TM-2P.

With the new NGC control, users and service technicians cannot change parameters (at least as far as I know). I called my HFO to solve this issue, and they were able to help me over the phone in a few minutes. Haas has implemented a feature to set the grid offset automatically (for rotary axes, anyway, that I am aware of). Under the Settings page, scroll over to Rotary, and move down to the selected Axis that needs the Grid Offset adjusted. (I had to press EDIT or I kept getting a status message "Wrong Mode".) Once the axis was selected, on the right side of the upper right window, a "Set Grid Offset [ALTER]" option is present. I pressed ALTER, the rotary moved a few degrees in both directions, and that was it - no more 165 Alarm. I'll try to upload a screenshot of the Rotary screen on the control.

Additional note: the other axes had to be zeroed first (since this occurred after the machine was restarted after connecting the 4th axis). "Zero Return > (enter single axis letter) > Single" to zero the XYZ axes individually before attempting the A-axis "Set Grid Offset [ALTER]". The other axes not being homed seemed to prevent the A-axis grid offset adjustment from initiating.

This was something that was useful to me, so it seemed appropriate to share it.

snapshot0.jpg

SetGridOffsetRotary.jpg

Last edited:

Back