What's new
What's new

Haas lathe question

32yrs

Plastic
Can someone out there help answer this for me ? I am currently running a SL-10 that is 15 years old and would like to use the spindle orient (to load parts a certain way) but adding the M code alone gave me a " feature not enabled" message. I found, on the settings page that it was not set to "on". Tried to change it and got the message " feature locked". Then went in and found the parameter lock and turned it off, went back over to settings but still could not switch it to on. How do I turn on the spindle orient so I can use it ? Thank you in advance to anyone that can help.

I'm betting the OP doesn't have C-axis on his lathe. If he did, he'd have a way to orient the spindle already.
Without c-axis, I don't think there would be a way for the spindle to orient at any repeatable position.

It doesn't have to be extremely precise. It is just so you can load the parts in a certain way. It does not have a C axis but from the messages I've gotten it seems like it is an available function, it's just finding out how to turn it on.

If its giving you a "Feature locked" Then the spindle orient trial option has expired. You can buy the option from Haas for .5 deg indexing for $995. It's just a matter of calling them with a credit card number and getting the activation code.

It doesn't have to be extremely precise. It is just so you can load the parts in a certain way. It does not have a C axis but from the messages I've gotten it seems like it is an available function, it's just finding out how to turn it on.

Open the electrical enclosure, on the inside is a list of options the machine came with.

If the machine has Spindle Orient, then is should be turned on, if not call your HFO with machine info and they will provide you the CODE to Turn it back on.

If the machine DID NOT come with Spindle Orient, there IS or WAS A TRIAL Period to see if you liked it before you Bought the Option. It's something you could turn on and off as needed till the Trial Time Period expired...or if you forgot to turn it off...it didn't take long for its usage to be up. Once that trial period is gone, its gone till purchased.

IF the Option was purchased at a later date, that OPTION wil still be active with HAAS, Call them and they will Provide the CODE to activate the Option.

If the Option was not Purchased, you now have the Option to Purchase. Credit Card, Check or put on your account they will get back to you with the Activation CODE and Procedure to turn the Option on. Usually all done with in a few minutes.

Yes, the Spindle Orient M19 works well for orienting spindle to grab with a Bar Puller or to orient spindle for shaped materials and a Bar Feeder, or to broach a Key etc. But its an Option and Needs to be Turned on with a Machine Specific Code from Haas

Back