What's new
What's new

Haas Memory Question

DieselMater86

Aluminum
So, I just moved over to a new Company and i'm working with a 2001 VF5. So I have a memory issue right off the bat and told them in my interview that its a potential issue. I support 3 locations with this machine hence why I'm waiting on the Haas Tech right now to install my new Spindle Drive Assembly 6k well spent bearings were shot and this machine set for 2 years. Anyways the last 5 months I have been cleaning the machine getting it back into great shape, and now the Memory is becoming issue #1.

So I talked to Haas and I can upgrade to the next controller but its 15-20K. I'm not crazy I'd rather put that toward a new machine not in a almost 19 year old machine.

1 MB of memory currently with all the new CAD programs updating over the years and better tool paths this doesn't last long. I break up programs and drip feed when i have to but never liked doing. You can see this machine struggle at times with drip feeding being this old.

What are some way around the memory could I try and link an External device or hook it straight to the computer?

Right now i load from USB. Sorry I never ran into an issue like this because most shops would have it doing easy work or nasty work with a new guy running it. And we have the nice NGC with a Probe system with bells and whistles lol. Sorry for rambling just ready to get this machine running and slinging some chips I don't like downtime. So I'm asking this and working ahead on programs.

Yeah not going to spend the 15K for sure, and I just wondered if I could hook up like a External HD or something. If not I will just make it work, and wait to we move into our bigger facility next year. Since all this growth maybe I will get lucky, and get another new mill for finishing work fingers crossed. Just wanted to see if others had found a way around this issue.

My suggestion would be just run from USB and keep the money in the bank.

Yeah not going to spend the 15K for sure, and I just wondered if I could hook up like a External HD or something. If not I will just make it work,
Just making sure you understood the first reply. You can call and run programs directly from the USB and never put a program in memory. It's very reliable and will fix your issue.

That's running them from USB into MDI yes I know how to do that done it for years never had much issue. This machine will bog down if i have to big of a file. That's why I have to split them up sometimes mostly for surfacing Molds.

That's running them from USB into MDI yes I know how to do that done it for years never had much issue. This machine will bog down if i have to big of a file. That's why I have to split them up sometimes mostly for surfacing Molds.
No, nothing to do with MDI. I've run 12MB surfacing files directly from the USB with no choking issues. "Select Program" from the below list and you're off and running. If you still have problems, the issue is something else.

20190710_074149.jpg

Full disclosure, my machine is 2007, but I think mine and yours should act the same in this regard.

15-20 k upgrade to a 20 year old Haas VF- -

I'd use that money for a down payment and time saved screwing around will make your payments.

Use the old VF for what it was meant for. If you don't have jobs like that...sell her. They have good market value and reduce your payment even further.

Or grab a used newer machine with needed options.

Just my .02 based on trying to get my ol- 91 Haas to run larger programs. Yes, I got it to work, but the baby sitting, tweaking and potential screw ups kept me from doing other things....luckily it's my place so I was able to stay real late to catch up and get the work done. That ol machine still has a place among the newer faster machines with a ton more memory. We run it daily for simple operations, simple jobs,

SIM

That's what I wish my Company would do money isn't the issue just the fact that we are moving from 80K to min of 200K sq ft. facility is taking the attention right now. I'm slowly building the trust that I get around here. The last guy they had ran this mill and the edm into the ground. So I have been bringing them back up, and showing the use and need that this company needs from me. I support alot with this Mill and basically waiting till that job comes across that I can't do because of my limitations. The Plant Manager has been in here alot lately talking with me and the growth of the Machine Shop. I currently support all projects for Engineering for company wide test fixturing, Tool and Die, and Injection Mold. We have a location in TN, AL, NV, and over seas we have 3 also. So hopefully i'm being listened to and get some updated machines when we move.

DieselMater86,

Ok, we are on the same page and you have told those that need to know.

Can't do much more then that, aside from make due with what you have and maybe a reminder once in awhile that it took an extra bit of time to make a satisfactory "work around".

I am not a fan of blaming machines, but sometimes it is the fault of the machine. Takes longer, part won't fit with the envelope machine doesn't like the Code coming in or can't process it fast enough, won't buffer etc etc. I only mention as you said can't do because of your limitations...in your case I'd rephrase to can't do because of the machines limitations.

Sounds like when they get settled in they will revisit and provide the correct tooling for the job.

Sure enough, sorry about that. I swear I helped a guy out with a 2001 and it worked the same as mine. Ehh, either way good luck.

Thanks it's all good I use to run this older style Haas for years but it has been a while so I'll figure something out.

DieselMater86,

Ok, we are on the same page and you have told those that need to know.

Can't do much more then that, aside from make due with what you have and maybe a reminder once in awhile that it took an extra bit of time to make a satisfactory "work around".

I am not a fan of blaming machines, but sometimes it is the fault of the machine. Takes longer, part won't fit with the envelope machine doesn't like the Code coming in or can't process it fast enough, won't buffer etc etc. I only mention as you said can't do because of your limitations...in your case I'd rephrase to can't do because of the machines limitations.

Sounds like when they get settled in they will revisit and provide the correct tooling for the job.

Defiantly we have talked about it a few times when they come in and check on me to see how things are going. I'm going to keep making due with the old workhorse and yes rephrase that too.

Oh man, the stuff you can do with a megabyte! What CAM are you using? What sort of parts are you making? If there's a smoothing/arc filtering option, you may want to look at it. Used properly, you can reduce the program size and program block rate by a significant amount with no difference in part accuracy, and often a smoother finish due to more consistent machine motion. You can also use M76 to turn off the display and free up some processor resources (you can still view distance to go and stuff by pressing feed hold). I do this often on my '93 VF3 with 80k of memory when drip feeding massive programs. Works great!

I use Inventor 2018 99% of the time, and I have MasterCam 2018 for the Wire EDM. I know all about G187 settings, smoothing, and drip feeding. I have dealt with this issue before. I can cut a lot of things down and I have so my method of overcoming is cut my programs into segments. I mostly make die detail blocks, but sometimes I have a Injection Mold up here and have to get more in depth with things, and also i support the entire company with any broken parts needing fixed or projects needing done.

Side note we got on the discussion yesterday because the Sinker we have doesn't get used as much. So the Plant Manager is thinking about saleing it and putting that towards me a newer nicer upgraded machine. So, I'm happy, but I know these things take time to get done, also.

Back